We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
43 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

I'm planning to visit Washington DC for the first time with my husband in October . I need some advice about a good location to stay as a tourist, near the attractions and also if you can recomend a good located hotel and what to do in 5 days.I'd be grateful any advice you can give me of any kind

Then we are going to Boston, Ma. Could you tell me the best and affordable way to get from Washington DC to BOston ( train, rent a car, bus, )? Is the Amtrak a good option or is it more expensive than a plane ?

maine
Level Contributor
31 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

well, I just called Amtrak as I'd like to go to D.C., and come to find out, they're having a special right now! You can go on the train from one city to the other for $70 each way, I don't think you can beat that!!! I'm not sure how long the special runs, I'm planning my trip for late May.

detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

If you got 9 hours one way, Megabus has 2 buses daily, 10:15 am and 10 pm, only can book up to September right now, prices are $5 a ticket one way if you book early before the cheap seats are gone. Even still, many seats go for less than $40 a ticket. ( for ex May 28th is $38 a ticket, plus 50 cents booking fee)

But with no bus station in DC, just an open lot. if its raining and your bus is an hour late, you know you hit rock bottom with Megabus.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 06:29
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

Where to stay and what to do is discussed constantly. You should get a guidebook, look at the things to do section, look at old trip reports. You are obviously coming here for a reason - to see certain things so there is really no sense in anyone listing them for you since you know what they are.

Good areas to stay:

in DC: Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, Downtown

in Virginia (right across the river): Crystal City, Rosslyn

JetBlue and US Airways both fly direct from DCA to BOS. I checked some random dates in October and each were all $74 one way per person before taxes.

DC
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

You really should fly between DCA and BOS. Amtrak basically takes all day, even if you go for the Acela high speed train. A bus will be scheduled for just about all day and is almost certain to encounter bad traffic somewhere along the way, so the schedule should be interpreted with caution.

US Airways, American, and Delta operate shuttle flights between DCA and BOS. They are all reliable and frequent and they are well worth whatever extra expense may be involved.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 15:31
detroit
Destination Expert
for Niagara Falls
Level Contributor
5,520 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

I'm not flying in, partly cause of costs but also the hassle. Gotta get to the airport early, get body scan or gorp to get on the plane (so they are sure you aren't smuggling dope or cash--they aren't looking for plastic explosives or you be body scan to enter government buildings) Once in DC need somehow to get in to town--cab, shuttle bus.

Union Station puts you right in the main tourist area and I plan on walking to my hotel once in town.

I also have more extra time than money, flying would cost me $300 more by the time I factor in taxis or shuttle buses.

Edited: 28 April 2011, 15:45
Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,710 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

Coming from Buenos Aires, with the budget and value per day therebey implied, I'd definitely fly. In addition to the options mentioned, Southwest Airlines out of BWI (reachable by numerous trains as you'll see covered in prior posts) will have cheap fares to Boston-area airports if others don't.

Washington DC...
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

The Acela takes 6 1/2 hours between DC and Boston, if you take the regional it's an additional hour (but much cheaper). Usually the Amtrak promotion on the Northeast Regional is if you're booking 2+ weeks in advance; if you try to book a few days ahead of time, you'll see the fare is much higher.

Level Contributor
34,703 posts
891 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

We took the Acela from Washington DC to New York City, it was a very comfortable and enjoyable ride. :)

san diego
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

You should definitely consider Amrak, especially with all the airport security these days, flying is a total pain, and the train can be very fun and not that expensive. Check out the the Amtrak route guides to plan your trip, then make sure you look at the specials they're running, it should definitely be cheaper than flying, and less hassle too! I use this site for coupon codes, etc..

http://www.amtrakcouponcodes.com

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
43 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington DC where to stay and what to do .

Hi

Thank you for your replies. I'm just trying to book the hotel. The travel agent offered me: a) Marriot Washinton ( 1121 22nd st) and b) L' enfant Plaza (Capitol Hill)

Could anyone tell which option is the best. ? Is any of them near museums, restaurants and shopping areas and easy to go ftom a point to another without taking a taxi o near metro stations o buses.

Thank you Martudona from Buenos Aires , Argentina

I