We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

We'll have a leisurely drive from Washington to Baltimore on 16 May, but it there anything worthy of a stop/detour during the day?

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Maybe Annapolis, MD (would fall in the detour category)

http://www.ci.annapolis.md.us/Home.aspx

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
4,890 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

I can't categorize anything as a "must-see" unless the subject matter of either of the two places below suits your interest. Mostly you'll find small shopping centers along the way if you choose to take the commercial route (U.S. route 1) or an attractive tree-lined route if you take the Baltimore-Washington Parkway. Otherwise, take the less-leisurely superhighway (I-95) and make do with the extra time you'll have on your hands in Baltimore.

There is a decent small aviation museum at the historic College Park Airport. www.collegeparkaviationmuseum.com/home.htm A lot of hands-on exhibits that are especially good for kids, but adults will find it interesting as well.

The National Cryptologic Museum is also along the way--I haven't seen it personally, but I have heard good things if that interests you, and it's on my list when I have the time.

nsa.gov/about/cryptologic_heritage/museum/

Annapolis is a good suggestion and would be more of a must-see for those with general interest than the above attractions. But it is definitely a detour vs. en route--although it sounds like you have the time on your hands.

Edited: 03 May 2011, 14:45
Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Thank you both for your input! We are visiting Annapolis after Baltimore, on our way to St Michaels, but the The National Cryptologic Museum sounds like an interesting stop en route.

Always provided we are not totally museumed-out after Washington!

After being totally buddha'd in Thailand and templed out in Egypt, we have learned that there can be too much of a good thing! (odd, that doesn't apply to chocolate)...

United States of...
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Arundel Mills outlet mall is just off your route if you want to do some shopping.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Depending on time of day you may stop whether you want or not. Other than some govt museums not much to stop for on a straight line. It is only an hour door to door.

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

The town of Laurel, MD is right off I-95 and quite charming:

http://www.laurelhistory.org/

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

hundreds of thousands of people pass right by Laurel every day without stopping and they can't all be wrong. :) I'd call it a "maybe if you have nothing better to do see"

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,820 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

I've got to say I've never found much in Laurel to recommend a visit. They have a "historic" Main Street with some period light poles and that type of thing but nothing I can think of to draw a strolling visitor looking for a break from the road. They do have some older homes in their historic district.

Ellicott City, on the other hand, is worth a stop if you're into shopping and nibbling. Main Street in Ellicott City would be about a 15 minute detour from the main route between DC and Baltimore and is worth an hour or more for lunch and some browsing if that's what you're looking for.

http://www.ellicottcity.net/

If you're into antiques at all, and a shorter detour from the main road, check out Savage Mill. Stores and a good beer tavern (Ram's Head) and a really good bakery (Bonaparte Breads) that I can never pass by without buying something).

Oh, and you can do zip lining there too!

www.terrapinadventures.com/adventures.php

http://savagemill.com/

Edited: 03 May 2011, 21:21
near Washington DC
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Irish and I agree again! Ellicott City is not a "must see" but its pretty close! The B&O Train Museum is there. The quaint little town has very steep hills and reminds me a lot of Cumberland, MD. Antiques shopping is the prime activity here.

http://www.ellicottcity.net/tourism/

Its actually on the south side of Baltimore but I'd definitely say Fort McHenry is a must see.

http://www.nps.gov/fomc/index.htm

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Must-Sees en route from Washington to Baltimore?

Between Baltimore and Washington, I'd say the Annapolis detour would be the only thing and it is quite a detour. But you say you're going there anyway, so I would say skip Laurel, DEFINITELY skip the Washington area outlet stores, they are a boring rip-off, just spend more of your time in Washington. If hands-on science exhibits interest you, Maryland Science Center is right on the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. You can lay down on a genuine bed of nails!