We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

traveling to Mount Vernon

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
traveling to Mount Vernon

we will arrive to Washington,DC this saturday. i was thinking to rent a car for 1 day and leave Dulles aeroport and go visit Mount Vernon. how far is mount vernon from aeroport?

thanks,Lisa

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: traveling to Mount Vernon

I would say 45 min to an hour minimum. Traffic in Northern Virginia even on the weekends can be terrible and add to this it will be a holiday weekend. If you take the route google maps will take you will be traveling on some of the roads that can be bad on the weekend (95 South from the 495 Beltway).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,365 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: traveling to Mount Vernon

If you do this, arrange it so you return the car to National Airport or a downtown office of the rental agency. No need to go all the way back to Dulles Airport and then have to make the trek from Dulles into the city.

Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: traveling to Mount Vernon

Btz, you don't want to get there too late on a Saturday. We got there around 9.40 or so and the place was not too busy. When we left a couple of hours later it was a totally differtent story.

Really worth a visit though.

Forest Hills, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: traveling to Mount Vernon

thanks a lot to all of you guys.thankfully,our flight is 7 am. do u think I need to buy tickets early to visit Mount Vernon or i can buy them while there?

5. Re: traveling to Mount Vernon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2012, 05:19