We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

Hi! I reserved a Capitol tour online months ago for 10:30am. Today I received email confirmation for my Congressman's office that we are approved for a White House tour at 12:00pm on the same day as our Capitol tour. There are 7 of us in our party. I've read the forums that say the Capitol tour is about an hour long and that we need to arrive at the White House 15 minutes before the tour begins. It is probably cutting it too close to do both tours. We are really torn between which tour to do. There are no other Capitol tours available during the time we'll be in DC (per the website).

I am considering sitting out the White House tour so I can stay with the baby, the stroller, our cameras and our bags - so the others in the group could do that tour.

I'm just wondering what others would do in this situation?

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

I would call my congressman and see what they can do to change the time of your Capitol tour

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

White House tour is certainly much harder to get.

The poster above said, "call congressman and see if they can change Capitol tour", but you did not say in your OP that you got the tour of the Capitol through your congressman-only the WH tour. Capitol tour arrangements were self-served through website, correct?

If you reserved your tour online for Capitol, you should easily be able to change that. I just went online for grins, and there are all SORTS of times available for 7 people all days between June 15 and June 30 (just a random search I did).

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

On another thread, you said you will be here 06/09 - 11. There are Capitol Building tours available on 06/11 using the regular online scheduler.

http://tours.visitthecapitol.gov/

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Our White House/Capitol tours are next Friday (6/10). I booked the Capitol tours myself online back in March. I did try to change them online this morning, but the website is saying that there is no times available. We'll only be there 6/9 and 6/10.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

Let me clarify, I tried to edit my post but it timed out on me. We'll be DC 6/9-6/11. On 6/11 we have already purchased tickets for the Crime and Punishment museum and we'll also do Arlington Cemetery and hopefully the Iwo Jima memorial that day. We were only planning on being around the Mall on 6/9 and 6/10, we weren't planning on going back there on 6/11, but if we really want to tour the Capitol, that may be our only choice because there are still tickets available for 6/11. Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

You may as well book them since they are free. You can always cancel them if you decide not to go. I don't think doing a no-show would be a moral breach of anything. They offer walk ins also so maybe someone would take your spot if you don't show up.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

It's true that it's harder to get White House tour tickets than Capitol. But frankly, lots of people find the White House quite disappointing. It is, after all, a house. If I had to choose between the White House and Capitol, I would most definitely choose the Capitol. BTW, I would not bother with the Crime and Punishment museum; it's a commercial ripoff.

Mentioned in this post
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,131 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

I wouldn't characterize the Crime and Punishment Museum as a "commerical ripoff" at all. They do charge a steep admission fee, but that doesn't mean the museum isn't any good.

I have written a long review of my visit there which might be helpful to those considering a visit:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g28970-d9416…

If you didn't like it, mojo, perhaps you could write a review too.

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

Thanks! I'm sorry for not researching this first before asking here, but can you try for walk up admission to the Capitol? We had planned on being in the Supreme Court/Library of Congress area early in the morning anyways, do they reserve a few same-day tickets like the BEP and Washington Monument?

The only tickets that are available for the Capitol on 6/11 are from 11 - 2 (ish), so this will really mess with the plans we've already made for Saturday. If there were some for either earlier in the morning or later in the afternoon, we probably would have been able to squeeze it in.

Anyone have any comments about the Capitol visitors center? I'm thinking maybe we could see the Capitol visitor center and then the White House tour.

The reason we're going to the Crime and Punishment museum is because 2 years ago my son was there (14 years old at the time) and he really enjoyed it and definitely wants to go back. I was able to find 1/2 price tickets online. I would have preferred to visit more of the free museums, but my boy is such a good sport and this is the one place he really, really wants to revisit so that's why we're going.

Mentioned in this post
Supreme Court
Supreme Court
1,218 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Library of Congress
Library of Congress
7,921 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington Monument
Washington Monument
8,164 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
White House
White House
6,862 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: White House & Capitol tour conflicts - What would you do?

I was there in April and I got there early. One of the information people who stand around and say "do you need any help" (not behind a counter or anything) told me I could go early if I wanted (since I got there early). If I remember correctly, there was a line for walk ups. It will be more crowded in June, though, than April.

The visitor center is interesting. When you go in, ask one of the guys what to do.