We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable Hotels under $120...

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Affordable Hotels under $120...

I bid you all a glorious afternoon!

So far, my 2012 Solo Trip is coming along nicely. As far as transportation, I'm gonna stick with Amtrak. Haven't ridden a train in nearly 12 years, so it would be a nice journey.

Now on to hotels. I know it's pretty early still, but it doesn't hurt to plan ahead, right? So here goes..

1. Price Range: Again, i'm looking to not spend no more than at the max, $110-$120 a night.

2. Location: I don't have a preferrence as to where, but at the very least not far from a Metro Line.

3. Amenities: As long as they have a Continental Breakfast, Wi-Fi, friendly staff, and clean rooms I could give or take any others.

Timewise, i'm still thinking of middle of march, but if need be, I can push it to may, June-August.

What are your recommendations?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,378 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

Middle of March you may find some hotels in that range. The closer you get to the Cherry Blossom Festival, the less likely it will be. It is too early to find any sales but you can always make a reservation that can be canceled. Start with the old stand-by, the Americana.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

Yeah, Americana's is going to be my first choice on my list..

East Leroy, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

Just got back from spending Memorial Day weekend in DC. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn. I would highly recommend. Clean rooms and a very short block from the Metro Station. Paid only $89/night. Can't beat that. Half the price of hotels in downtown and free parking. Called to make the reservation and the front desk person offered to sign me up for the preferred guest club which allowed us to get a free buffet breakfast every morning. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. Will be staying here again if I ever go back.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

How was the breakfast?

USA
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

C'mon Darthbane, now you are being picky :D

I will be staying in the same Holiday Inn in Roslyn starting tomorrow. Will report back about breakfast ASAP.

East Leroy, Michigan
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

Breakfast was average. But it was free so I'm not complaining. Sausage, bacon, biscuits & gravy, potatoes, eggs, fruit, cereal, etc. Did not think it was worth the $14.95 that it would have cost me but breakfast is a low priority for me when choosing a hotel. We loved the location and closeness to the metro and all the money we saved by not staying in downtown. Also had a great view of the Potomac from our room (918).

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

Yeah, I'm not a picky person when it comes to breakfast. With continental ones, I don't have to spend money to get a bite to eat in the morning..

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

I think it would be nice for you to stay in DC itself, if possible. Scheduling your visit for a mid-March weekend or, typically, the first 2 weekends in June can help make that possible -- and you'll avoid being here when it's beastly hot and humid.

You could book the Americana now, because that's a no-commitment reservation when booked through the Americana's web site. But then keep your eye on TravelTicker and Travelzoo, which alert you to closer-in-time deals; better still, sign up for their e-mail bulletins:

http://www.travel-ticker.com/

www.travelzoo.com/hotels/washington-dc/

Do you know about Hotwire? It's similar to Priceline in that you don't know which hotel you're getting until after you pay for it. But you don't have to guess at a price; the predetermined rates show up on the listings. And Hotwire is less of a gamble than Priceline because you can use the icons, customer satisfaction ratings (which are closely tied in to TA reviews), and the useful info on BetterBidding.com to hone in on what the hotels are likely to be.

http://www.betterbidding.com/

www.betterbidding.com/index.php…

E.g., for this upcoming weekend, here's what I believe is available via Hotwire for less than $110/night: the Affinia Liaison, the Hyatt Regency, and the Dupont Circle Hotel.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
9 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

If you are traveling solo and really want to save money I would recommend staying at the HI-DC Hostel. It is really nice. You can choose between dorm rooms with 4-12 beds that are either coed or segregated by gender and I believe they also have some private rooms. I have stayed there twice and I think I have spent as little as $20 or $25 a night. The private rooms are probably a little bit pricier but I doubt they are more than $110 or $120 (though I am not sure on this). The hostel has a free breakfast (bagels, muffins, toast, cereal, juice, milk coffee and it also has free wi-fi. It has other ammenities too like a tv room with comfy chairs, a pool table, computers, books, and more. It is right downtown, within walking distance of the white house and some of the monuments and probably the museums as well. It is also two blocks from a metro station, so it is easy to get anywhere. I would highly recommend it. The staff are really friendly and it is fun to meet new people too. There is a variety of different ages represented as well as people from lots of different countries. I have not had any problems with loud people or dirty rooms like some other hostels I have been too. It is probably the cleanest one around.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable Hotels under $120...

I would like to stay away from Priceline/Hotwire. Some of the reviews i have seen are not too fond of either of them..