We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Updated Iternerary

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ALABAMA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Topic
Updated Iternerary

Friday:

8:30- White House Tour

- National Archives

- Lunch somewhere nearby

- American History Museum

- Natural History Museum

- Air and Space

- 8:00- dinner at The Oceanire

Saturday:

- Breakfast somewhere

- Vietnam Memorial

- Lincoln Memorial

- Korean War Memorial

- Roosevelt Memorial

- Thomas Jefferson Memorial

- Holocaust Museum

- Washington Memorial

- Library of Congress

- Dinner at Ceiba

- Night tour of the monuments

Sunday:

- Arlington Cemetery

- Lunch, any suggestions?

- Ford's Theatre, need to get tickets online

- Shopping in Georgetown

- Eastern Market

7- Dinner at Filomena

Monday:

- Breakfast somewhere

- Mason Memorial

- Lunch at Bens Chili bowl

- Big Hunt Beer Tap

730- Dinner at Sequoia

Tuesday:

- Bureau of Engraving and Printing

- Iwo Jima Marine Corps Memorial

- National Gallery of Art

-Nationals vs. STL

Whatever we don’t get to see, will do on Wednesday

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Updated Iternerary

I guess it is only your intent to have a peak at those three museums on Friday, rather than exploring them in any sort of depth.

Eastern Market is open 9 - 5 on Sundays. I doubt you have time for it with the other things on your itinerary.

http://www.easternmarket-dc.org/

It might make more sense to move Iwo Jima Marine Corps Memorial to Saturday since you are in VA anyway.

ALABAMA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Updated Iternerary

Im hoping to have 6 hours is long enough...and I will move the memorial to Saturday, thanks!

Edited: 07 June 2011, 21:33
new jersey
Destination Expert
for Charlevoix, Michigan
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Updated Iternerary

You could easily spend 6 hours at each of the museums. It seems that the schedule will allow you to check off many sites on your list but won't let you explore them much. For instance, at the Korean War Memorial, my kids had a chance to chat with a Veteran of that Conflict. We spent nearly an hour listening to him. We also had the chance to chat with Vets at the World War II Memorial the year it opened. These are the things that make these monuments meaningful. They also take up time making it hard to visit all of the sites on one visit.

I also know that I needed a break after visiting the Holocaust Museum. We grabbed a cool drink and relaxed in the Botanical Gardens because it was such a moving and powerful museum. Pushing through a list of sites after that museum would have been a bit too much for me.

If you are willing to be flexible and give up a few sites to fully experience others, again if the opportunity arises, I think your itinerary could work. I just hope you keep those opportunities open rather than engaging in a forced march from site to site in this spectacular city. Moms

ALABAMA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Updated Iternerary

Thanks, and I know some places you have to wait in line for tickets. Thanks again for the info!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Updated Iternerary

I think it's a great itinerary. Like that you're doing monuments day and night, especially FDR. On Friday, two to three hours at each museum is fine if you just want to get a taste, and spend a little in-depth time at an exhibit or two. For lunch I'll recommend Zaytinya, which is a five block walk from Archives, then it's a six block walk back down to Natural History Museum. Did you consider a hop-on-hop-off bus to get an overview and your bearings?

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Updated Iternerary

For your lunch on Sunday, I'll recommend Oyamel. It's a great upscale Mexican place, open at 11:30 and serving brunch until 3:00. Here's their Sunday brunch menu.

oyamel.com/images/…O_menu_brunchfull.pdf

Some people think it's overpriced, but it's not just any old cheese enchilada. It's very good. The menu will give you an idea whether you think it's worth the price. It's about 4 blocks from there to Ford's Theater, so you can Metro from Arlington Cemetery to the Archives-Navy Memorial Metro Station, which is only a block or so from the restaurant, have lunch and then walk to Ford's Theater from there. Of course, if you are driving, then you have lots of options.

If upscale Mexican food doesn't appeal to you, then you might try Carmine's (Italian) just north of Oyamel on 7th Street in the same block. Also open at 11:30.

As for your dinner at Sequoia, I hope you have better luck with that than we did. It is a place on the river, which doesn't have to try very hard to get business, because of its location and good views. Possibly the worst service I've ever had in a restaurant, and the food was nothing to brag about either. I've seen some positive reviews, so maybe I caught them on a bad day, but after my experience there, I never wanted to give them a second chance. Unfortunately, if you want good river views, you seem to be forced to accept sub-par restaurants in DC. I just wish someone would open a really good restaurant on the Potomac with good views. There may be one somewhere, but I haven't found it yet.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
650 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Updated Iternerary

Wasn't going to say anything because you might really enjoy the venue with its' proximity to the river and Georgetown, but I agree with Spyder. I have given Sequoia perhaps five tries over the past twelve years and have never been "wow'd" by the food and the service is good/ok, but not professional. Having said that, I would find myself there again sometime in the future if entertaining out-of-town guests, just for the location and river walk area with view of Kennedy Center. The food is good enough, just not great - not even "very good", IMHO.

Houston
Level Contributor
241 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Updated Iternerary

I would move one of the Smithsonian museums to Monday or Tuesday--I think they all deserve at least 3 hours apiece. Frankly, I would recommend foregoing the Bureau of Engraving and Printing in favor of spending more time at the museums. The Bureau was probably one our greatest disappointments on our recent trip.

Edited: 08 June 2011, 04:36
ALABAMA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Updated Iternerary

Im thinking of replacing Sequoia with Legal Seafood, have you ever been there for dinner? And thanks for the info!

ALABAMA
Level Contributor
132 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Updated Iternerary

Thanks for the info, Im still re-arranging some of it. I will def write a review when I get back. ROLL TIDE!!