We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which hotel would you choose?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
which hotel would you choose?

Price being equal, which hotel is the best Sofitel, St. Regis, or the Jefferson?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which hotel would you choose?

Well---they're all supposed to be 4 diamond properties. However, after reading the reviews posted here on TA for the Jefferson and the St. Regis, I wonder how those 2 got the 4 diamond designation. In terms of location, the St. Regis and The Sofitel are in the best spot--near the White House and the McPherson Square Metro station. IMO, if I had to choose, I'd take the Sofitel. I suggest you read the reviews here on all 3 properties. It will help you come to an informed decision.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which hotel would you choose?

I wasn't too impressed with the Jefferson - it was a bit out of the way, smallish, older, stuffier, and the White House view promised in their ad was impossible to get unless you upgraded to one of their suites. Otherwise, you're looking at a bunch of boring buildings.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,471 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which hotel would you choose?

I would probably choose the Sofitel as well unless you had a compleling reason for the others. The St. Regis needs a bit of an update and is scheduled to have some rennovations done in the next year or so to bring it back up to St. Regis level.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which hotel would you choose?

I used to work near the St. Regis and my firm put clients up there as well as the Ritz in Georgetown.

I never heard one complaint about the Ritz, but a fair number of our guests were unhappy with room preparedness and check in policies at the St. Regis. Note my clients were executives of huge companies so probably were accustomed to quite nice accomodations.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: which hotel would you choose?

I have a friend staying in the Sofitel now and she is really impressed having a view out to the White House. Location is also great, so I would suggest staying there.

- Dave

www.dstreetdave.com