We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
736 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Hello! We just returned from a two week trip out East from Chicago ... we spent three days in Washington DC and had a great time. We also spent several days exploring parts of Virginia (Luray Caverns, Shenandoah National Park, Monticello, Colonial Williamsburg, and Jamestown), before spending several days hanging out on North Carolina's Outer Banks. If you would like to see images and explanatory captions from our three days in DC, go to ...

https://picasaweb.google.com/mjneenan…

and click on the DC album with Lincoln as the album cover.

The DC images run from photo #2 through #73. There are so many options for tourists in DC, it can certainly be a bit overwhelming trying to narrow down such a myriad of choices. Perhaps the choices we made as a family (my wife, 17-year-old son, and me) will give you some ideas on what to do ... or not do. It's such a great place for families to visit! We love it there.

I will be happy to answer any followup questions you might have. I have used Tripadvisor extensively now for several years and really enjoy being a part of this community of fellow travelers.

Happy travels!

Mike

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Thanks for sharing your pictures and your trip report. I'm heading to DC in a month and you've given me many ideas of what I should see now.

MISSOURI
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Loved the pictures!!! Going in September, cant wait!!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Lovely photos, and some good ideas for our upcoming October trip

Edited: 15 July 2011, 17:41
Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Those are great pictures and your commentary is so helpful. And yes, pickled okra is a Southern thang!

Bartow, Florida, USA
Level Contributor
159 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Great photos! How was the weather? Was it really hot and how was the crowd. I am about 3 weeks away to flying out to washington. I am excited an d can't wait.

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
997 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Thank you for sharing! Your photos are beautiful and the captions are so helpful.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
736 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

Thanks to all of you for your kind words ... I very much enjoy photography - my camera and I have a good time together! ... Looks like several of you have a wait before your trip ... but anticipation can be half the fun - it usually is for me, anyway. ... The weather while we were in DC was hot and humid, just as you would expect a southern city to be in late June. No surprises there ... I think the high each day was around 88 or so - the good news about DC is that you can always duck into one of the Smithsonian museums, which are all wonderfully air conditioned. In fact, you might want to make sure you do any long strolls outside (like to the Jefferson Memorial) either pretty early or as it's getting dark and then plan on being in buildings for most or all of the hot afternoons. We have been to DC a number of times, always in the summer, unfortunately, and it has ALWAYS been hot and humid. I would just count on it being that way and as I mentioned, plan to be inside for the hottest part of the day as much as possible. If you stick to that plan, you'll be fine. ... Or you could go in April or October! ... Crowded? Well, yes, for some areas and buildings. Many families come to DC in July and August because their kids are out of school ... Places like the Air and Space Museum or the Capitol are always going to be mobbed in the summer months, but some of the museums and govt. buildings draw far smaller crowds. You can beat the hordes if you pick lesser known attractions. The crowds didn't bother us at all. As I said, if you already know it will be hot and crowded, it's easier to mentally prepare for that and have a good attitude. ... Happy travels!

Edited: 16 July 2011, 02:50
Bartow, Florida, USA
Level Contributor
159 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

You are correct. When I used to work for Disney that those were are busiest month. I normally travel in October, because my husband wanted his son to come with us we are now going in August so he won't miss school.

I have a Nikon D80 and I am trying to figure out how to carry it around the DC area. I have a camera bag that look like a messanger bag, but I want to carry light. Not have to worry too much about the security line.

Any suggestions?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
736 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

I used to have a Nikon D80, right before I upgraded to my D7000 ... The D80 is a very good camera. I carry mine around in a bag that has room for just one other lens (my super wide angle). Yes, it's sort of heavy and bulky, but I have long ago accepted that tradeoff on trips to be able to get the types of shots I want. When we had to go through security, my bag was never an issue ... They just do a quick 3-4 second check of all the compartments. Have everything already unzipped - speeds things up for everyone. Have a great time!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
139 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Washington DC trip report - photos and captions

So enjoyed looking at all your fabulous pictures, and comparing them to the ones I took on our recent trip to DC. (Our college age daughter also loved giving us narration from APUSH, as well as her college history courses....)

We must be about the same age, as I visited DC as a HS student in 1977, and also had a run in with Chief Justice Warren Burger at the Supreme Court! How much easier it was to visit everything back in those days!

Thanks again for a great trip report!