We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

Hi there,

Visiting dc from Ireland, except I'll only be there between 9am-3pm.

Arriving at Union Station from NY.

What are my best options please?

Should I just walk to Capitol building, then white house, Lincoln memorial etc.

Or would one of those 3 hour bus tours be better, if so, could someone please recommend one!

Thanks!

Should I just walk

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,410 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

Only you can decide what you most want to see. There is a LOT to see here in DC. What would mean the most to you?

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

Walk around the mall and hit a couple of museums. Forget about the bus.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

You did not say where you will depart. Hopefully it is not one of the airports which will further reduce the number of hours you have.

Six hours is very little time. You probably want to walk around a few key sites such as the White House and Capitol Hill and take a few pictures. If you want, you can also take the DC Duck tour which will drive you around to a few sites. The DC Duck tour only lasts 1.5 hours, which works because you do not have much time either. It departs from Union Station.

http://www.allwashingtondctours.com

Edited: 29 August 2011, 01:12
Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

This is a better link:

http://www.dcducks.com/

Williamston...
Level Contributor
875 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

I think walking is just fine, provided you're in good shape and can manage your time well. Most of the major sites are on the Mall or close to it. You'd start at the Capitol, walk down the Mall past the Washington Monument. On the way to the Lincoln Memorial, you'll pass by the WWII memorial as well as the Korean and Vietnam memorials. Don't know if those will hold much interest for you. After visiting the Lincoln Memorial, you can then make a diversion off the Mall to see the White House. I'd say it takes about an hour to walk from one end of the Mall to the other without stopping. You might even get an hour or two available for hitting a museum or two. I'd suggest the Air and Space Museum or the American History Museum. Granted, it really takes a few hours to see everything properly, but at least you'll get a taste.

Dublin
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

Thanks for all your advice so far....

So would this sound do-able?

Arrive at Union station 9am-ish...

Walk to Capitol building

Then white house onto Lincoln Memorial

Other sights on mall

Back via Air and Space Musuem to union station by 3pm-ish....

Thanks again!!!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

I would to this -

9:00 AM - Arrive Union Station

9:45 AM - White House

10:00 AM - The Mall (monuments incl. Lincoln Memorial)

12:00 PM - 2:00 PM - Air and Space

2:00 PM - 3:00 PM - Go back to Union (you'll pass capitol practically on your way)

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

I did like the DC Ducks suggestion...personally, here is what I would do:

9:00 AM - arrive union station - grab a breakfast if you haven't eaten....

10:00 AM - 11:45 AM - DC ducks tour (will hit all the monuments you want to see)

12:00 PM - Lunch at Oyamel, Jaleo or (my favorite...) AMERICA EATS! TAVERN...as I really think you should enjoy the culinary side of DC while you're here...

1:00 PM - 2:45 PM - Air and space museum

3:00 PM - head out...

This would be much less stressful, cover everything you want to see on your trip, and you even have room for a great lunch (plus you can get really nice pictures from the Duck, and you even get a splash into the Potomac...

9. Re: Washington in 6 hours!!! Help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 03:16