We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 day DC tour

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
3 day DC tour

I am planning a trip to DC-Niagara-NY on second week of October.

We will be flying from Portland, OR to DC on 15th Oct, planning to stay in DC for three days and fly out to Buffalo on 19th.

We would like to visit historic places in DC, White house, capitol hill all the major memorials and possible one museum. Please suggest some itinerary and place to stay.

I don't mind well conducted tours if it saves the hassle of we driving ourselves.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 day DC tour

1) Itinerary - it's all up to what interests you. My don't miss attractions are the Mall (I suggest you tour them at night), the Museum of American History, Museum of Natural History, Air & Space Museum, Newseum and International Spy Museum.

2) I'd love to help with a hotel suggestion. To do so, though, I'll need to know your budget and how many beds you need (one king or 2 doubles).

I'll check back!

Arlingtonman13

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 day DC tour

Thanks Arlingtonman.

We are four adults and would like to stay in one room with two queen/double beds. I'm willing to spend upto $200 for the hotel, most important is clean and tidy rooms and in a safe location where I can get to most of the attractions easily. No frill hotels will do.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 day DC tour

Hi, Bhasi:

I'll make a few suggestions for what you can afford. I think we can get you something far nicer and more memorable for your trip than a "no frill hotel," and wouldn't that be nice? Especially since you're coming all the way from Oregon, I'm going to pull all my sources to help make this a memorable trip!

4* Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a beautiful, elegant hotel in Old Towne, a popular tourist area (though it is about a 20-30 minute metro ride out of town). The rate is $164 per night on hotwire.com, and it is listed as a 4* Hotel in Alexandria.

4* Westin Arlington - a nice, average, Westin chain hotel if you are familiar. Famed for their "heavenly bed" and modern decor. The rate is $200 per night on hotwire.com, and it is listed as a 4* Hotel in Arlington.

3.5* Hotel in Dupont Circle on hotwire.com for $187 per night - it looks to me as though it is the Hotel Madera, however, the fact that they are "Gathering Reviews" makes me uncertain, so I don't want to say for sure. I would still consider it.

4.5* Hotel in Arlington/Pentagon City on Last Minute Travel is the RITZ-CARLTON Hotel at Pentagon City Mall. This would be my first choice recommendation. It will be the best hotel experience you'd ever dream of...so elegant, but not stuffy, and connected to the Pentagon City Mall (nice for rainy days). It's also literally adjacent to the Pentagon City Metro Stop and you're just 2 stops from downtown DC on the yellow line of the metro. The rate is $215.02 per night, but it is really, really, worth it in my opinion. This rate is from lastminutetravel.com

4* Hotel in Arlington/Pentagon City on Last Minute Travel is the Marriott Key Bridge for $156.44 per night. I would really suggest the RC over the Marriott, but if your budget is tight, this is a feasible option. Ask for a room (if you stay here) on the top floor on the Lynn St. side and you'll have a million dollar view of DC (I don't know if it's obstructed now, but you used to be able to see the entire length of the mall, the monument, and dome of the capitol all from your window!). The hotel, though, is showing it's age in minor ways...nothing terrible, though.

So I hope these help, and aren't too detailed. If you can swing the extra $15/night, the Ritz-Carlton is truly worth it. Housekeeping is flawless, the area is among the best in DC (that's why I live around here...) and it is very convenient to downtown. I really suggest you consider it! If not, the others are all nice options.

Take care, and let me know if you have any questions.

Arlingtonman13

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
93 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 day DC tour

Thanks Arlingtonman. I am planning to bOok one if those day tour shown on viator. Also probably a night tour of mOnuments. Spend next two days visiting the museums. Which museums should we absolutely visit, since we only gave two days.

Btw which Ritz Carlton are you talking about, the one on tripadvisor is in the range if $399-$999.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 day DC tour

This is the Ritz Carlton I'm referring to As you mentioned, the rates are insanely high normally, so the rate of $215.02 that I found on Last Minute Travel is a very good rate. Here's a link to the TA

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g30242-d83956-R…

Oh, and if you click on "See traveler photos" - the first two pics are of the exact room type you'd be getting on LMT

Edited: 08 September 2011, 01:00
6. Re: 3 day DC tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 03:18