We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hours between flights

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
6 hours between flights

I am going through Washington (Dulles) on a Tuesday morning and have 6 hours between flights. Is there a quick tour of Washington available that will get us back to the airport 3 hours before our flight. Any suggestions appreciated.

Luc

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hours between flights

Not really. Dulles is 30 miles from Washington and not easily (or quickly) reached via any kind of public transportation. So allowing 60-90 minutes to get off the plane and get into town, and another 60 minutes to get back to the airport...well, do the math, I think that leaves you with about an hour to spend in Washington.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hours between flights

You might consider visiting the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum that is part of the Smithsonian museums. It is located next to Dulles airport and you might be able to get back and forth with time to spare (although I haven't tried to do it like that). Check it out:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

dctravel

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hours between flights

I second the Udvar-Hazy recommendation. It is part of the Smithsonian Institution, and is a plane hangar with tons of great stuff. It's all the stuff that doesn't fit in the downtown Air and Space Museum, which is quite a bit of unbelievable items, even if air and space travel is not a great interest of yours. There is a shuttle bus from Dulles Airport to it run by the Smithsonian. Parking there with a car is about $15.

A cab could take you or take you back quickly if you are in a rush. But they can't pull up off the street without paying the $15, so you may have to walk 1/8 mile to get in when going by cab.

With six hours, it's either that or the Reston Town Center Shopping area for a leisurely dinner or a movie or very nice store. It's all outdoors, so it's more pleasant than an indoor mall.

Also, a little further by cab (12 miles), but a quick ride on a dedicated airport highway are Tysons Corner Center and Galleria at Tysons II, two indoor 200-store shopping centers across the street from each other. There would be not too much traffic in either direction, but going further into DC you could get stuck and miss your connection.

By the way, I have been in the Ottawa-Gatineau area and I love it!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hours between flights

When i was there in August, we cabbed it and got dropped off right in front. The cabbie did not have to pay the $15.

I would highly recommend this museum. I know I would have a hard time leaving it though as we spent all day there.

5. Re: 6 hours between flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 21:17