We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I eat and run into a senator?

Minneapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
Where can I eat and run into a senator?

My 14 year old son and I will be in DC later this week for a tour of the Capitol, White House and to check out the Air & Space museum. I've never been to DC, so would love some recommendations on fun places to eat around the Capitol, the mall or within easy cab distance. Any other tips appreciated as well.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I eat and run into a senator?

Go to the Hart Office Building Cafeteria. It is on the lower level and serves GREAT FOOD that is kid friendly (why do you think the senators eat there?). You won't run into A senator, you'll run into 20 Senators!

Safe travels,

arlingtonman13

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I eat and run into a senator?

If you and your son are interested in the Air and Space Museum, be sure to check out the branch (The Udvar-Hazy Center) located near Dulles Airport. It is pretty impressive, but may not be very convenient unless you happen to be flying into or out of Dulles. Both Senators and House members are likely to be out of town this week, so odds of spotting any of them is slim.

Not much (aside from the Senate cafeteria referenced above) in the way of dining choices on the Senate side of Capitol Hill. You can also eat in the Longworth Cafeteteria on the House side, which is in the basement of the Longworth Building. Both House and Senate also have gift shops in the basements, where you can buy souvenirs and mementos.

There is a really good burger joint, called Good Stuff Eatery, located on the House side of Capitol Hill, on Pennsylvania Ave, a couple of blocks east of the Capitol. There is also We The Pizza, located near Good Stuff, as well as several other places to have lunch along that same area. At the corner of 1st and D Streets SE, near the Capitol South Metro station, there is Tortilla Coast (Mexican) and Bullfeathers (pub grub). Slightly further east, at Eastern Market, and near the Eastern Market Metro station, there are also several places to eat.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,469 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I eat and run into a senator?

First, please note that there is not a formal cafeteria in the Hart Senate Office Buidling, it is located next door in Dirksen. The confusion comes in that Hart and Dirksen are connected internally, so it is very easy to pass from one to the other without going outside (or through additional security).

Second, here are links to the House and Senate cafeteria menus:

Senate

go.compass-usa.com/senate/content/menus.asp

House

go.compass-usa.com/house/content/menus.asp

dctravel

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,144 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I eat and run into a senator?

The house and senate cafeterias are by far the cheapest way to eat along the Mall, half the price of what you'll pay in the museum cafeterias

Another thing you might want to do is engage in some lobbying. If you call your representative or senator and tell them that you'll be in DC and want to talk to someone about some issue that's important to you they will give you an appointment to talk to a staffer. We did this when we did a family visit last year, it was quite exciting though it was clear that we met the most junior guy in the office. Our Congressman was not in town and the staffer used his office to meet with us .

Edited: 28 September 2011, 15:32
5. Re: Where can I eat and run into a senator?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 13:17