We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day stay Smart Trip card??

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
8 day stay Smart Trip card??

My self and 4 friends will be coming to DC for 8 days in early November. We will not have a rental car and plan on using mass transit to get around DC and out to Alexandria also.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure on how much to load onto a card for a week in DC?

Thanks in advance.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

If you are going to be here that long, a 7-day pass is likely to be a good deal for you. It partly depends on where you are staying. The downside to the 7-day pass is that it doesn't help you on the buses, if you will ever need to ride a bus. The SmarTrip card will be convenient, but likely will cost more. There just isn't any set answer to what is best for everyone.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

Will Metro serve all our needs for DC proper or will it be more convenient to use the Circulator too?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

How much you are likely to use the Circulator is very dependent on where your hotel is located. Many people get by using only Metro trains. But that doesn't work for everyone.

SmarTrip is the most convenient because it works on buses and trains all over the area. But how much value you will need depends again on where your hotel is located. For 8 days, probably at least $40 each. Quite possibly more. But you can always add on later in the week.

CO
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

You can purchase a card with $25 loaded on line. I just purchased this. I know I am going to have to add, particularly if we catch the 5A bus from Dulles, but I would rather add more later than end up with significant money left on the card.

We are also going to be there 8 days (Sat-Sat) and are staying at Palomar Arlington in Rosslyn. We will be taking the bus to Mt Vernon and since there is a Circulator bus from Rosslyn to Georgetown/Dupont Circle, I figured there was a chance we would use it a time or two. And possibly the 5A bus to and from the airport (depends on if the plane is on time and if we can get from the gate to the curb in 20 minutes). Based on my guess of our usage, I figured we would about break even between the $5 charge and the discount the SmartTrip card gives. So I went for convinence. Wasn't sure of the 7 day pass versus SmartTrip - again looked about even given my best guess of our usage. (planning on eating dinner near where we end our day so only two metro trips most days)

We will see how it goes in reality.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
243 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

We purchased Smart Trip cards on our second trip as we knew we wanted to return. I usually just add $20 and then add as I need to.That way, you don't go home with a lot of $$$ sitting on your card that you may not be able to use for a year or two until you can return. We use the Metro and the Circulator and it makes it easier. On our last trip, we used the convienience of Taxi's a little more to save our feet, so I didn't need as much on my card. But.. I group our visits together so that we are not going all over the city in one day. We usually only have one longer ride in the morning and the evening. Just short rides during the day.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

We are staying in Capitol Hill in a VRBO rental townhome 2 blocks from the Union Station Metro.

One person in our party may not be able to walk miles and miles from place to place so I thought it would be good to take the Circulator too.

So that was my thought on Smart trip.

Taxis, Metro and Circulator. I may have us all buy $20 Smart Trip cards to start.

See how many days they last.

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

Traveld0t For your information some of the museums on the mall have wheelchairs you can borrow as long you stay in the museum. If you don't see them when you go in just ask a security guard. They came in handy when I injured my ankle during our trip this summer but still insisted on visiting some of the sights.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
135 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

Thank you

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,421 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

Being close to Union Station means you will have easy access to some popular Circulator bus routes. A SmarTrip would certainly be the most convenient and versatile. And it is easy to add value to them if and when you need to. And with 8 days of riding, you will save more than the $5 cost of the card. http://dccirculator.com/

Edited: 13 October 2011, 14:57
Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 day stay Smart Trip card??

The SmartTrip card may be worth it, because it is easy to use on buses and gives nearly free transfers between train and bus, and free transfers between all buses of all types. Each card will cost $5, but because you save $.25 per ride, after 20 rides (in 8 days, you will use that) you have made up the $5. You can buy them at many Metro stations, but not all. When you do, you pay $10 and get $5 worth of rides on it.