We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Ideas

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Palatine, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Day Trip Ideas

My husband and I are making our 3rd trip to Washington DC/Virginia in January. We have already done all the monuments and are not too interested in the museums. We will be visiting friends Fri-Sunday. We have all day Monday to do what we want and then we leave from DC on Tuesday. What do you suggest we do? I thought we could go to a winery or Gettsyburg but I am not sure those are good options in January! And suggestions? Last time we took the train to New York and spent 1 night in New York. Maybe Baltimore? Is there anything fun to do in Baltimore in January? Mostly we just like to walk around and explore and eat! My husband is a photographer so any places we could get some good pics would be great!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day Trip Ideas

"The leaves in the Shenandoah Valley are just gorgeous when they've turned."

I grew up in Rural PA. I grew up raking leaves...haha. Maybe that's why I can't appreciate it like some of you "born-and-bred" city dwellers!

I love history, but just because TJ called it "perhaps one of the most stupendous scenes in Nature" as Darrel said doesn't make me droll...plus, it wasn't a commercialized tourist trap when Jefferson was around :)

The Ghost tours and river tubing sounds like fun, though, I will admit :)

"I really wouldn't go as far as to call Harper's Ferry a dump."

Yeah, me neither. I meant to call the restaurant I went to "a dump" not the actual town. So no offense intended...my words came off wrong.

"I think it's a gorgeous state with a lot to offer and it gets a bad rap!"

I think so, too, but I'm more a Greenbrier kinda guy, if you know what I'm saying :). Harper's Ferry just wasn't my thing...what can I say? I wanted to like it, I really did, but I didn't. Maybe I'll give it a chance and if I get a free weekend soon (and the weathers nice) I'll head up for a ghost tour and some river tubing.

Thanks for the post, CityGirl!

Arlingtonman13

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Day Trip Ideas

I too don't understand Harpers Ferrry. Been many times, and yes it is beautiful, but I am bored after an hour.

I think Charlottesville is a great idea. Or maybe St. Michaels Maryland.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day Trip Ideas

Yeah, JWhite...I agree 100%. Both with your Harpers Ferry comment and your suggestions!

14. Re: Day Trip Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 November 2011, 13:30
Palatine, IL
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Day Trip Ideas

Thanks Everyone. Now i just need to decide what to do!

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
801 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day Trip Ideas

The inner harbor is a nice though touristy area in Baltimore. it would be good for pictures. After that i would walk around Fell's point. It is not nearly as touristy, and there are some good restaurants in the area.

17. Re: Day Trip Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 06:18