We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to DC in November

Indianapolis, IN
Level Contributor
114 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to DC in November

I have an opportunity to visit DC next month for a long weekend and am curious about a couple things. I've been to DC about 4 times and I have a friend I can stay with, so I've already done the basic tourist stuff.

I've always come during the late spring or summer and never at this time of the year. How bundled up would I need to be? Does the cold wind whip around those buildings like I suspect it might? Do I have to stash my coat somewhere to get into places? Is tourism slow in mid November?

Anything special happen at this time of the year that I wouldn't get to see in the summer? An example is; the third floor of Mt Vernon is open to visitors close to Christmas and I would like to go there if it's open. Is there anything else like that?

It's been over 3 years since I last visited and some things on my agenda; to see the remodeled American History museum and do some genealogical research.

Anyone know the best place to start with the genealogy stuff? National Archives, DAR? I realize I may need to call them directly to find out what I can look at on site that I can't get from home.

Thanks.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to DC in November

If you haven't been to Newseum, you should consider going. It's amazing! It was one of our favourite place.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to DC in November

Another vote for the newseum! If you need any hotel suggestions within your budget, I will find you something really nice if you want me to :)

Also, most things are open normally, but most museums close around 5 or 5:30 rather than the 7 or so hours in the summer months.

Weather wise, every year is different. I'd pack in layers if I were you. A good wool coat is a smart idea in case it's snowing buckets like it has in the past :) but other years, it's in the 40s or 50s....prepare for the worse and the best and take either.

Arlingtonman13

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to DC in November

The weather isn't a whole lot different than Indianapolis. Usually a bit milder, but not in a major way. It can be nice. It can be cold. Rarely bitter and windy in November. You will be able to wear your coat inside, but most museums have a coat check if you want to stash it while you are inside.

Belgrade, Serbia
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to DC in November

I think the Indianapolis airport has more than 12 flights a day to Washington D.C. so its very good connection. If you go by train you can save $ 100 for a round trip. On this page you have all informations with prices for Indiana-Washington trip : travel-combinations.com/2011/12/from-indiana… !

Edited: 16 December 2011, 02:47
5. Re: Trip to DC in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2012, 10:16