We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Topic
Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

My wife and son will be spending thanksgiving with me in DC this year. She has been itching (since I've started working in DC years ago..) to go Black Friday shopping in DC. She talked our son into going with her and she wants to go "nice" shopping. Do stores out in Tysons Corner (bloomies, neiman marcus, nordies, etc.) have black friday sales? Or is that beneath them?

Usually my wife and son go back home in PA (our local mall has a JCPenny & Sears, as well as a local area department chain...nothing special) but they want to try it here in DC. I was just wondering (Since that isn't up my alley) if $$ stores have black friday sales.

Thanks,

Arlingtonman13

Washington DC
Level Contributor
123 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

I can't make any promises about specific stores, but I promise your wife will find lots of sales at high-end stores at Tysons or Pentagon City.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,292 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

"nordies??" lol. That's a new one on me. Sorry, just stuck me as funny.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

Haha, IrishFan, it's an Arlingtonmanism. You'll see over time I come up with the craziest abbreviations. Burberry? To be it's Burbs! And SFA is not San Francisco Airport, no, it's Saks Fifth Avenue!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

I imagine this information will be available on the stores' websites

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

All I can say is this --- If you're actually planning to drive to Tysons on Black Friday --- OMG! Much as I like Tysons, I avoid it like the plague from right before Thanksgiving until after Christmas.

That said, I do like the idea of going to Pentagon City --- if you use Metro. It's so much easier than dealing with traffic and parking.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

Really? Is it that bad? Maybe I'll be the "designated driver" since my wife, God love her, isn't exactly the best city driver! Any clue how much longer the trip will take? It's about 12 min now from me in Arlington...

I'm sure websites will have ads, but not until the day before, most likely. Trying to plan early.

Thanks,

Arlintonman13

7. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 November 2011, 20:53
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,148 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

Yes, during Christmas shopping season, it's terrible. I wait to get my hair cut until after Christmas season so I tell my stylist "Happy Holidays" well before Thanksgiving! Traffic is bad there this time of year but when you factor in Metrorail construction, it's even worse than normal. As for driving times --- depends on how you get there --- Leesburg Pike? We've avoided it in that area since the Metrorail construction began and everyone we know who has to use that road these days, tells us we're doing the right thing.

Where traffic is the worst --- the closer you get to the mall --- lots of back-ups, people blocking intersections. Then there is the fun of trying to find a parking sport. Here's a tip from the Washington Post --- if you're willing to drive to the garage rooftops, you should find a spot.

I have no problem going to Pentagon City this time of year because we always leave the car at a Metro station.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

I went out to Tysons Corner today (mainly because I had a 30% off Neiman Marcus card that expired today, as well as a $50 cafe card that also expired today...) via I-66 W to VA-267 N and off Chain Bridge Road...smart, took about 15 minutes.

Two weeks ago, I went via Leesburg Pike to TJ Maxx in Vienna...NEVER again. The light crossing the Pike onto Gosnell Road took 35 minutes alone (yes, I clocked it) because of how backed up Leesburg Pike was. It literally let two cars go at a time, max. Plus, the construction of what I thought was an elevated highway (which must be the metro rail) right down the middle of the highway takes up lanes left and right and at one point the highway is 2 lanes, then 1, then back to 2, and it jams up constantly.

I never have any problem at Pentagon City parking in the mall. I always go in the garage by Nordstrom and can usually get within 100 yards of the entrance. Same goes for Tyson's...sometimes if I'm in a hurry I valet park, which is very nice but $$, not something I do every day.

Greensboro, North...
Destination Expert
for Isle of Palms, Edisto Island, Charleston
Level Contributor
6,032 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do NICE stores have Black Friday Sales?

To answer your initial question, no store is beneath making money. Retail stores are all in on Black Friday. Saddle up.

Edited: 14 November 2011, 20:32