We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
323 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

Hi,

I'm arriving at IAD late Thursday night, and need to leave Friday morning the 23rd south To Raleigh NC...

I need to spend the night somewhere, wondering if I stay near the airport (Sheraton or Westin) will I have traffic leaving in the morning? am I better off going further away?

Looking at google directions seems like I take Sully road (28) down to the 95.. will I hit bad traffic?

Thanks

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
745 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

chaimdan - the best probable route you will be taking Rt. 28 south from the airport to VA-3000 W/Prince William Parkway to I-95 south...

you could encounter some traffic, but most of the Rt. 28 traffic will be going north and most of the I-95 traffic will be coming north (towards Nova and DC). that being said, you could still encounter a bit, but it shouldn't be too bad.

try to avoid going north on Rt. 28, east on 66 E to get to 459 (the beltway) to get to I-95.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
732 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

I think an even faster way is to take Route 28 south to I-66 West to Exit 44 "VA 234 South/Prince William Parkway." Stay on 234 all the way to Dumfries where you'll pick up I-95. Far fewer traffic lights than taking 28 all the way through Manassas and I find it to be a much faster route. There are plenty of hotels near the airport and in Manassas which is not too far from Dulles.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

My guess is that the trafffic going south on I-95 is likely to be lighter on Thursday night than Friday morning. If you don't want to drive too far on Thursday night, you can stay in Woodbridge, VA. There are a few Marriott group properties right off exit 158 of I-95 on Prince William Parkway in Woodbridge. There is also a Country Inn and Suites.

This way, you will be well positioned to get on I-95 the next morning. There are many casual dining options in Woodbridge for a quick bite (Red Lobster, TGIF, and Famous Daves BBQ, etc). There is also a Panera Bread bakery that may be good for breakfast and coffee the next morning.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
745 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

mjw703 - good suggestion on route. one clarification though. There are no Manassas hotels right off Exit 44 (from I-66). You'd have to exit one exit before 44 on VA-234-BR S/Sudley Rd, Exit 47A...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

mjw703 has the best directions. You will not encounter traffic going this way on Friday morning, but if you do go this route Thursday night, you will. It depends on how late you arrive. 7:00 P.M. or later you should be OK if you decide you want to stay in Manassas. There is a good assortment of standard hotels right off I-66 at exit 47A.

The idea of making your way towards I-95 and staying there is a good one too. It will take you less than an hour to get there from Dulles. If you stay on Route 234 and end up in Dumfries, there is a fairly new Holiday Inn off Van Buren Rd. just before the exit ramp onto 95 south.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

Agre, MJW has the best way. @ 47A, there's a nice, older Hampton Inn that goes for around $99/night:

http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=TZZBQO3QTCAEOCSGBJT222Q?ctyhocn=MNZHAHX

The better hotel option, that JWhite suggested, is the Holiday Inn in Dumfries -Quantico Center. Rates are similar (rates actually around $80 per night) and the hotel is a whole lot newer and nicer:

holidayinn.com/hotels/…hoteldetail

~Arlingtonman13

7. Re: Where to stay to avoid morning traffic

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2012, 10:21