We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Muscle Shoals...
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

My family will be traveling to Washingtin in March. We would like to visit Mt. Vernon. Does anyone have suggestion on transportation to Mt. Vernon since we will not have our car? Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,719 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

There are many discussions of this topic on this forum. Here is a link to the page from Mount Vernon's website that discusses options:

http://www.mountvernon.org/more/directions

Many visitors use the Metro plus the bus to go. There are tours available using a bus or a boat, but then you have to stick with their schedule.

Muscle Shoals...
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

Thank you for the link!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

We did the Metro plus bus and it worked out well. If you go that route, make sure you get the bus schedule in advance because it can take some time for the bus to arrive and you may have to wait around for a bit - but if you time it well, you will reduce your waiting time. Have fun!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

Also, take a look at the "Top Questions" that appear on the right hand side of the forum page. The last question reads: "How do you get to Mount Vernon if not by car?"

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

We also did the metro/bus combo to go Mount Vernon last summer. I'm sure a car would of been better but it was fine and super easy. I enjoyed the break from walking and liked the scenery. The metro and bus there are so much faster than the bus where I live! The info desk at Mount Vernon have the bus schedule.

Suggestions: Go on a nice day as a lot of it is outside. You should also wear comfortable shoes.

Muscle Shoals...
Level Contributor
31 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

Thanks for the information. It's great to hear from someone who has made the trip.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

Quote from the Mt. Vernon website: "Take Metro Rail's Yellow Line Train to Huntington Station in Virginia. Exit at the lower level (Huntington Avenue) of the station to catch a Fairfax Connector bus to Mount Vernon." I found that part most helpful when we got to the Huntington Station, knowing that we needed to exit at the lower level. Then when you walk toward the buses, the Fairfax Connector bus to Mt. Vernon is the very last bus stop on the right as you are walking out. We had to wait about 20 minutes. The bus only runs about every hour in the early afternoon from Mt. Vernon back to Huntington, so make sure to plan the timing of your trip for which bus you want to catch back. We missed the 1:30 bus by seconds (watched it pulling away and tried to flag it down!) and had to wait another hour for the next one. Other than that, it was super easy and like someone else said, I enjoyed the scenery in Virginia after riding metro all week.

8. Re: How to get to Mt. Vernon without a car?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2013, 10:18