We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

nashville...
8 posts
Save Topic
8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

Does it really matter if we are within walking distance to the major attractions? A view would be nice?

I have a hotel booked for $144 a night in Arlington near a Metro station. Or I can book The Madison for $170 a night.

My goal is to give "underprivileged", "inner city", "illegal aliens", all- around phenomenal young people a memorable experience.

Advice/suggestions are welcomed!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

It depends...what hotel did you book in Arlington? The Madison is a nice hotel, but I might be able to find a better rate for you (I'm willing to try...)

I need to know a few things:

1) What are your EXACT dates of travel (Check in and check-out)

2) How many rooms do you need, and what bedding arrangements (for example, 4 rooms with 2 beds, 1 room with 1 bed...)

That said, if you really wanted to give "under-privileged, inner city illegal aliens" a phenomenal experience, the Madison is a very different change of pace (it's a 4.5* hotel...). But just keep in mind that "under-privileged inner city illegal aliens" do not typically fit in at a business-oriented 4.5* hotel.

I think that they would much prefer a hipper hotel (they are teenagers) such as Hotel Palomar, the Dupont Circle Hotel, Hotel Monaco, or Hotel Topaz, among others.

Arlingtonman13

nashville...
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

I booked the Crystal Gateway Marriot, which I stayed at a couple years ago (can get it for $99 a night if I'm willing to commit now). I wanted to book Hotel Palomar, but when the rates were low enough, we did not have the funds to book.

Our dates are flexible at this point, but I wanted to take the students sometime during our Spring Break which happens to coincide with Cherry Blossom festival- so somewhere around the first of April...give or take a few days.

We need three rooms-- 2 with 4, 1 with 1.

"But just keep in mind that "under-privileged inner city illegal aliens" do not typically fit in at a business-oriented 4.5* hotel." I agree, I don't want them to feel uncomfortable or like they cannot enjoy themselves. The Madison is affordable at this point and close.

Thanks for the response.

nashville...
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

And we want to stay 4-5 nights depending on the rates. I hope flexible is helpful?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

The Gateway Marriott is not a bad choice. It is close to a Metro station and the trip into most tourists parts of DC will be less than 20 minutes, using the Yellow Line. There are places to eat nearby, including some where you don't even need to go outside, thanks to the pedestrian tunnels of Crystal City. The area is safe, as is most of tourist DC.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,164 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

Are you driving or flying to D.C.?

1) If you are driving, you should check out the parking rates for the hotels you are considering because that might make one hotel a better bargain than another.

2) If you are driving and don't mind staying at a good budget hotel, then you might want to look at the Americana Hotel in Arlington (Crystal City). It's close to all the amenities of Crystal City (restaurants, Metro etc.) but they don't charge for parking.

3) If you are driving, it might be more economical to drive into D.C. and park in a garage. Metro for a group of 9 would likely cost of minimum of $36 each day just to get to D.C. and back. A parking garage for one vehicle would probably be $20 or less per day.

nashville...
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

We're flying, so thank goodness parking is not an issue. I think we're going to fet week passes for the Metro-- seems to be the easiest way. Still contemplating hotels, at least I've learned for next year...book Hotel Palomar EARLY.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

Looking at March 29-April 2 (right around your dates) here would be my suggestions (I will name up to the price of the Madison...$170 per room per night)

$135/night at the Washington Marriott on 22nd Street NW. Downtown Marriott, nice hotel, not super close to the Metro, though. Not my top pick.

$144/night at the Dupont Circle Hotel - hip, close second to the Palomar. Thing is it's on request meaning that there is a chance you could get it, and a chance you couldn't. I'd say it's worth a try, they won't charge your credit card until its confirmed that you got it...

$109/night at the Renaissance Arlington Capitol View Hotel. A great backup to the DCH, in my opinion. I would choose this over the Marriott because though they are near each other, this is a hip, new, cool hotel that I'm sure the kids would love :) It is funky, the rooms are fitted with the latest electronics, and there's a swimming pooll! They offer a complimentary shuttle to the metro entrance, which is available whenever you want it...In fact, I might even like this more than DCH! This rate is from marriott.com so you can chose your dates, bedding setup, etc. For $30 more per room, you can add breakfast (Which boils down to 3 rooms / 9 people...about $10 per person...) which is a good deal. It also makes your rate fully cancelable compared at the $109 that is prepaid.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,427 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

As a group of 9 people, I would not even consider a hotel where you had to depend on a shuttle. The group might fill up the shuttle and then what do you do if there are other guests waiting to ride? Stick with the Gateway over the Renaissance Capitol View.

nashville...
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

I can't see us doing the shuttle. I'm already having nightmares that I lose one on the Metro.

And my husband and I stayed at the Fairmont, so I'm familiar with the trek to the Metro in Georgetown, but that may be a good experience for the kiddos to walk around the university.

Dupont Circle is an interesting option. So how does the on request deal work?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 8 Teenagers, 1 Teacher. Low Budget.

Basically, the site is lastminutetravel.com. The DCH is listed as a 4-star hotel in Dupont Circle at the rate of $144 per night (that is how you can tell it from the Washington Hilton on these dates...). On-Request means you book it...they hold your credit card and try to "negotiate" the deal with the property directly. If they get it, you get it, if not, you don't get charged.

I find (From my experience...), It's about a 50/50 chance. But you will have a better chance with the DCH because it isn't part of a large chain (well, Doyle, but it isn't that large of a chain). Boutique hotels have more say with their rates, whereas if it were a Marriott, I'd say no way...there's so much corporate involved.

Arlingtonman13