We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The same old, tired question!

Davie, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
The same old, tired question!

Hi there. I'm a single, 29-year-old male heading to DC for the first time March 27-30. I haven't booked a hotel yet and need some suggestions on where to stay. I'm looking for somewhere $80-100 a night, clean, within reasonable walking distance from a Metro station (doesn't matter which one), not in too bad of a neighborhood, has some eateries/bars/pubs I can walk to. That's about it really. Any suggestions gratefully appreciated. Also, what time does the Metro run until?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The same old, tired question!

Is there any way to adjust that budget at all? That's one of the more popular times for tourism in Washington, and $100 is not going to get you much.

Just for comparison I ran your dates through hotels.com to see what was available. Although they had rooms for as low as $62, these were in far away suburban locations (Dumfries, anyone?) and even into the $85 range only came up with hotels on New York Ave NE that no one here would recommend for you.

I also checked Marriott and Hilton and many of their properties are sold out completely, with others offering rooms at $250 and up. Even the New Carrollton Courtyard, another place I wouldn't recommend, wants $159 per night.

Wish I could be more positive, maybe someone else will have better ideas.

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The same old, tired question!

Use Hotwire.com, put in downtown DC, pick dupont, Cap hill or GW/Kennedy. Chances are very slim that you wont be within a 5-10 walk of the metro (most likely closer) and usually you can get a 3.5 star or better hotel for $80-120 a night.

My feeling is going to a hotel website, or even orbitz or the like, is a waste of money, especially if you are travelling single, young, able to walk and even the slightest bit adventureous. As far as safety, Hotwire hotels will be in safe areas...very few hotels that arent in the major tourest areas of DC ARENT safe. Common sense, especially at night, is all you need...during the day, dont sweat it....

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The same old, tired question!

The place I always stay is the Kalorama Guest House at Woodley Park. They're located a short block off Connecticut Ave, less than five minutes' walk from a Metro station and the National Zoo. When I had a double-bed room with shared bath last year while at the inauguration as an uninvited guest (nuff said) it set me back $74 a night, I think. The main compromises are that you'll hear the floors squeaking sometimes whichever house you wind up in - try for the bigger one, at the corner of Cathedral and 28th - and the management doesn't even pretend that any of the baked goods are homemade. BIG deal. To me, anyway, the choice between croissants and cookies fresh from the oven and a bargain room rate is a no-brainer. Oh yeah, and you'll also want to bring a celly - otherwise be willing to accept the fact that all incoming phone calls ring at an answering service between 8 at night and 6 or so in the morning. There are no in-room phones, and not every room has a TV either.

Woodley Park is a quiet, yuppified early-20th-century neighborhood which is also not far from Embassy Row and the National Cathedral. There's a whole bunch of good places to eat and drink in along Connecticut Ave between Cathedral Ave and the Metro - everything from Mickey D's to upscale Indian - with Cleveland Park, yet another pleasant and low-key neighborhood district, up the street just beyond the zoo. (The Japanese restaurant, oddly named "Spices," in Cleveland Park is a personal favorite.) If you're into a livelier and later night life scene, both Adams Morgan and DuPont Circle are within walking distance.

Metro trains are mostly "asleep" by around 1 AM during the week and 3 AM on weekends. Timetables are posted in all the stations. Since DC cabs aren't a pleasant experience, not to mention how they have "set" fares - which reeks of ripoff - try to get around on foot or by Metro as much as you can.

Speaking of "all hours," one neat thing about the original - Cathedral and 28th - Kalorama house is that there's a separate basement-level entrance. I did have one late night out when I was last in DC, and was also always craving a cig as all the other guests slept. So it was great to be able to go in and out that other door.

Have a great time, and don't forget to see some of the many sights that make DC a destination!

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The same old, tired question!

Well - as a followup - I didt realize you were coming during the week and that it was at what may be the peak of Cherry clossom fest. That puts you in a very tough spot for using Hotwire...costs are so elevated during the week for business travelers and the fest...

I'd look at B&B's and other options. It may be your best bet.

http://www.allstays.com/BandB/dc-bandb.htm

Maryland
Level Contributor
380 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The same old, tired question!

The Quality Inn in College Park, which is just south of the University of Maryland campus, is within walking distance of Metro and shows rooms around $80 for those dates, but I really think you'd have more fun if you came during a time when you could stay in DC.

BTW: Yes, I know this is going to revive the "OMIGOD! Don't stay in Prince George's County!" thread. We're all agreed that staying in DC, followed by Arlington, is most convenient for a trip to Washington. However, in this case, it meets the OP's criteria: not a bad neighborhood, walking distance to eateries/bars/pubs (all geared to college students with limited budgets and questionable tastes, however), and walking distance to Metro (although late at night, I'd use a hotel shuttle or bus). I suggest everyone save bandwidth by limiting their complaints against PG and concentrating on finding other options for OhAySis. For example, what's available in Silver Spring near Metro?

Davie, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: The same old, tired question!

Thanks for the prompt replies guys! Bed n breakfasts are fine with me (I'm orig from England), so I've put in a reservation request with the Kalorama and we'll see what kind of rate they come back with. Which station is that nearest to? And what's the deal with this Cherry Blossom Festival...anything special I should know about it?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The same old, tired question!

And what's the deal with this Cherry Blossom Festival...anything special I should know about it?

---

Well, check out the website:

nationalcherryblossomfestival.org/cms/…

Its probably the single busiest 2 week period in DC for tourism.

It pretty much mean that DC is overrun with tourests, prices are expensive and life is miserable riding on the metro, etc....but they are worth seeing if you happen to be here...which you are.

Davie, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The same old, tired question!

Thanks for the bulletin!

Davie, FL
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: The same old, tired question!

Ok, I have a room booked at the Kalorama Mintwood Place location for $70! Can't beat that deal with a stick! Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. One other question, I'm going to a concert on one of the nights at the 9:30 Club...anyone know if that's near a Metro station?

Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The same old, tired question!

9:30 club is 2 blocks from U St / African American Civil War Memorial / Cardozo Station

Last Train Home: Sun-Thurs 11:44p Fri-Sat 1:47a

Now guess what time the show starts at the 9:30 club....LOL....