We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

Hello all, I am spending a month travelling round a few cities on the East coast and will be staying in hostels. However, I cant seem to be able to find many in Washington DC, and the 2 that I can find listed both have bad reviews.

There is the Hilltop hostel, which seems to be quite far away from it all and has some quite bad reviews. And there is the HI Hostel, which seems in a good situation but I have heard that it is a bad area, and since I am a girl travelling alone, I dont like the sound of this. Also there are about 5 reviews on Tripadvisor saying that there are bed bugs!! Its all very scary to me!

Does anybody know if these hostels are as bad as people say, or does anybody know of any other hostels or hotels that are low budget that arent scary??!

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

What price range are you looking at? Depending on how much you want to pay and what time of year you'll be traveling, it is possible to find decent budget accomodations. Are you willing to stay outside of DC and use Metro to get into the city?

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

I would like to pay around 40-50 dollars a night. I would be staying for about 5 nights from the 22nd of May. I wouldnt mind using the metro to get to places, as long as there are some cafes or eateries in the area of the hostel/hotel.

Washington, DC Area
Level Contributor
291 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

I too was hesistant about staying in DC hostels, until I discovered the Hilltop Hostel. And I've stayed at Hilltop Hostel A LOT! It is in a good neighborhood in Takoma Park--right by the Takoma Metro station so you can easily get around. Very laid back atmosphere with internet access and most importantly very safe. I recommend that one. It's only $20 a night for a shared room. Not bad and it's in a historic house.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,496 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

HI, TRACEY,

Hilltop Hostel has gotten more positive ratings at this hostelling site than here at TripAdvisors; note that males seem more inclined to give it higher ratings than women:

hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/HilltopHos…

Here are a couple of other suggesions for you, Both are admittedly above your stated price range, but still cheaper than any hotel -- even a poorly rated one in far less desirable location, and nicer than one of those.

* Since you're coming from outside the States, you would be eligible to stay at Davis House, a lovely townhouse at 1822 R Street, NW in the terrific Dupont Circle neighborhood; it's owned & operated by the American Friends Service Committee, the social justice "arm" of the Quakers. The rate is probably about $60/night; here's where you can get the contact info:

http://www.afsc.org/locations/davishouse.htm

* If you're willing to splurge a bit more ($80/night, but I'm assuming no taxes/surcharges), you might be able to snag this 800 sq. ft. apartment in the pretty (and safe) Woodley/Rock Creek Park neighborhood with full kitchen (so you could save on meal expenses), balcony & a gym in the building:

…craigslist.org/vac/140876584.html

London
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hostels Advice needed!!!! Help!!!

Thanks for all of your advice, youve all been really helpful, thanks a lot. I think I'll go with the Hilltop Hostel, it seems to get more good reviews than bad. As long as it doesnt have bed bugs then it cant be all bad!!