We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC speed cameras -

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
DC speed cameras -

Wow, I just read for the first time the other thread on the topic of DC photo speed enforcement yesterday when I got my mail. In it was what I thought to be another piece of fund raising mail asking for donations to some charity connected to the Metropolitan Police .Instead it was a ticket for speeding on I295 North at the Benning Road underpass. Nice clear pictures of my car and license plate.showing me speeding on a divided six lane highway (three lanes on each side of the road divider) at 10:30 am with no traffic .

As an attorney, I know that being impatient after sitting 10 minutes in the Pennsylvania avenue backup. to 295 because I stayed in line and did not cut in at the front of the traffic light is not a legal defense nor is not paying attention to the drop in the speed limit to 45 there.. Like I used to tell my clients: If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. I'm writing the check for $150 today But I am printing out the list from the DC Police of their speed cameras to help me rehabiltate myself.

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1240,q,547991,mpdcNav_GID,1552,mpdcNav,|31886|.asp

IMO, the photo cameras are much nicer than being stopped by a police officer, pulled over to the side of the road, watching as twelve to 25 cars speed much much faster than you were going while the officer is busy writing you up, trying to pull back into the still speeding traffic. and last but not least, zero points.

Not all attorneys refuse to accept responsibility for their actions.

Charm

Edited: 20 January 2012, 18:45
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DC speed cameras -

"Not all attorneys refuse to accept responsibility for their actions."

Glad to hear it, Charm.

It hasn't happened to me yet, but know it will. Better familiarize myself with the camera locations ;-)

I agree, it is better than being pulled over.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,865 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC speed cameras -

Dont be suprised too see them popping up in other major cities.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,142 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC speed cameras -

Speed cameras got my husband once when we were in Phoenix driving on one of the freeways. However, we knew it got him when we saw the flash that just about blinds you. We were in a rental car at the time. A couple of months later, the ticket came in the mail. Some people advised us to ignore it because we didn't live in AZ. However, we felt that was dishonest. My husband put a check in the mail the next day.

As for DC---these days we go out of our way to avoid driving into DC. The traffic and parking problems have us parking at a Metro station, then taking the orange line.

Annapolis
Level Contributor
128 posts
255 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC speed cameras -

There is a written appeal process. I feel like they don't even read the appeal, they just tell you they do and send you a new ticket 6 months later for half the fine of the original.

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC speed cameras -

I recently got my first speeding ticket in 20 years for doing 68 on I-95 north bound. Apparently there was a stretch near Baltimore that had a reduced limit of 55 due to road work. I don't actually remember any workers out there but did recall seeing some cones on the side of the road. I don't remember seeing any 55 mph limit but I am not about to drive there again to verify. There was very light traffic because it was 8 am on a holiday.

So they sent me this nice color picture of my car with my license plate, with a polite request for a fine of $40 about two weeks later. They did make it clear that if I pay, there will be no points.

I just paid. It is really not worth arguing against the need for enforcement under the circumstances and whether the radar was properly calibrated, etc. To me, if they did post a sign and I missed it, then I bear the responsibility.

Hope Maryland gather enough money to actually have someone work on that road. :-)

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DC speed cameras -

EdofVA: Yep. Good points

Handpickd: I've no legitimate basis to appeal but thanks for the info.

SueFee: We do the same now: Park at Pentagon City Mall and Metro to DC

OLDIESGUY: It's just a Tax on speeders, so I think you are right.

Arlingtonman1: Thanks, I thought I'd post a non outraged thread about the issue. All I need to do is the speed limit if I really don't like it.

Charm

Fairfax County...
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC speed cameras -

OP, isn't the parking at Petagon City Mall almost as expensive as DC? I parked there before whenever I saw the traffic was hopefully jammed on that bridge.There was no savings in the parking cost though, once I added back the Metro ticket.

The private lot at the foot of the Eisenhower Metro station has better rates and is usually not full. They used to charge $10 a day with few takers, then they lowered it to $5 and got long lines in the morning. I think they have since raised it a little to either $7 or $8. It should be closer to you, but a longer ride on the Metro.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DC speed cameras -

EdofVa

Actually, the Eisenhower lot is further from my house and takes about 10 minutes longer to get to than Fashion Center. The few times I have had to park in a garage in DC, it set me back $10 to $15 for six hours. We park at the Macy's garage around 10 and get back around 4. It used to be only $4 but the price went up to $6. Unlike parking in DC, I can just pull into a spot in the garage and then drive out when I'm back. It's even cheaper than the parking meters in DC at only $1 an hour up to 6 hours. It jumps then to discourage workforce commuters who use the metro. We are never down in DC more than 6 hours, often only 4.

Here is their parking rates from their web site

Garage parking access is available from either 15th Street or Army-Navy Street.

For more information call: 703-415-2150

Parking rates Mon-Sun:

0-2 hours $ 2.00

2-3 hours $ 3.00

3-4 hours $ 4.00

4-5 hours $ 5.00

5-6 hours $ 6.00

6-8 hours $ 10.00

8-10 hours $ 14.00

10-24 hours $ 16.00

It makes DC hassle free for a museum or restaurant etc visit.

Charm

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DC speed cameras -

You'd think that the longer you park, the bigger discount you pay. But it isn't so, interestingly. 6 hours boils down to $1/hr, but 7 hours boils down to $1.43 per hour., 9 hours boils down to $1.56 per hour.

That's weird!

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DC speed cameras -

Although I stated it as though it was a fact, it is really a SWAG that the reason for jumping up the price is to encourage shoppers at the Fashion Center Mall while discouraging Metro rail commuters from taking all the spaces early in the morning. After all it is a shopping center attached garage and without it, Macy's, Norstroms, Victoria's Secret, etc customers would not be able to drive and park there. This way, the garage always has plenty of space for shoppers who typically do not put in an 8 hour day. Daytrippers like myself do okay.

So IMO, it's not weird, but astute.