We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

USA
Level Contributor
643 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

I've found in my travels (especially in large cities) that I can often get a healthier and less expensive lunch by visiting a local grocery or deli, picking up a pre-made but fresh sandwich or salad, and eating in a nearby park (or in some cases, the grocery store has a little eating area which is nice on nasty days). Especially when I'm alone, it's nice to sit on a park bench and people watch.

Anything like that around the mall area? Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

The National Mall is 2 miles wide. It really depends wherer you will be. South of the National Mall, there is not much. North is the Downtown area and there are sandwich places, etc.

Mentioned in this post
National Mall
National Mall
6,805 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

You can get take out to go at Central Michael Richard, and take it to any picnic spot on the mall or in a local park. He is an amazing chef; his fried chicken at Central was ranked #2 in the world, and his baked mac'n'cheese is to die for!

Potbelly Sandwich shops are a great choice that many swear by, I myself have never tried them, so can't speak from personal experience. They have a location at the Archives Metro (literally, right next to it...).

Also nearby is Cosi, a quick sandwich shop that does take-out. If you eat in, they have s'mores for desert where they bring a miniature fire pit to your table on a platter with graham crackers, hershey chocolate bars, and marshmallows. I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Whole Foods, a higher end area grocer has huge cases of prepared foods, pizza, and sandwiches that never disappoint. There is one a block from my condo in Arlington, so I frequent it often. There's one in Foggy Bottom, and one up on P Street around Logan Circle, if I recall correctly. It's been a while since I've been up there, but I just drove by the one in Foggy Bottom the other day!

To add, Panera Bread Cafes are all around town, too.

All the best,

Arlingtonman13

Edited: 23 January 2012, 22:09
Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

Cosi and Potbelly are great choices. No grocery stores super close to the Mall really. Re Panera, there are unfortunately not that many in DC proper. The closest one to the Mall is in Dupont Circle.

Mentioned in this post
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
326 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

That's true-not many Panera right near the mall, but suburbia is full of them ;-)

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

What good does that do? If they aren't all around town, why did you say they are?

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

VJPB- No need to be on the offense, so calm down, friend. I don't eat at them often and assumed they were as around downtown as they are in Arlington and other areas of NOVA. However, I was wrong to assume that and apologize for my mistake. But I made many other suggestions that clearly give the OP many options.

OP - Hope those suggestions help. There are also Quizno's around town, as well as Chipotle Mexican Grilles, both of which I really like!

Arlingtonman13

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

RobUsa

My suggestion would be to check out the Ronald Regan Food Court complex. There are plenty of options. Plus there was a Quizno's sub shop right below the Federal Triangle Metro on a lower level before the RR plaza .. RR food court is open to the public although you do go thru metal detectors, etc but no TSA groping. ;) Most of the sandwich shops mentioned here are three blocks or more from the Mall. Central is $$ IMO.

From your earlier posts, it appears you may be staying in Dupont Circle right near a Panera but then you would have to lug a sandwich around all day but people watching in Dupont circle is a lot of fun also..

Last but not least, there is a HUGE construction project going on in the Mall right now that has made all the places I sat on a bench and ate my lunch rather unappealing unless you like to look at a chain link fence and listen to heavy machinery. But it is fine further up the Mall near the Monument (which is closed until 2013) .

Charm

Edited: 25 January 2012, 14:33
Mentioned in this post
Dupont Circle
Dupont Circle
326 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
8. Re: Grocery w/deli or Deli near the Mall

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:26