We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any 18 yr old girls out there?

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Any 18 yr old girls out there?

Relax TA Police, this is not what it seems!

My 18 yr old daughter has agreed to come on holiday with us. We will be touring DC, VA & NC and will be doing the usual Smithsonian/Shenandoah/Blue Ridge/Colonial Williamsburg thing.

So I feel I need to find some compromises for those moments when she is totally “battlefield-ed out”

Any ideas from under-19 TAs (or their parents) would be appreciated.

I will be repeating this in the DC/VA/NC forums.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,078 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

Does your daughter enjoy shopping? If so, she might like checking out the shops in Georgetown. Another easily reached shopping center in the D.C. area is the Fashion Center located at the Pentagon City Metro station in Arlington, VA. If you have a car, you can do some outlet mall shopping at Potomac Mills Mall in Dale City, VA or the outlet malls in Leesburg, Virginia.

Even though we live here, we spent a day touring D.C. with our older teen/young adult children a few years ago. They were aged 17 and 20 at the time and they both enjoyed doing the Segway tour. So your daughter might get a kick out of touring D.C. that way.

South Carolina
Level Contributor
137 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

You'd probably all enjoy the Busch Gardens theme park over at Williamsburg.

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

if you have a car, the nicest shopping mall (not outlets) are Tysons Corner and Tysons Galleria (around the corner from the first).

i second Georgetown and the Segway tour - my teenage daughter loved when we did it in Paris and DC would be a great area for it.

Close to Williamsburg is Virginia Beach if you are looking for a day or even several hour break at the beach. She may be too old for it, but Busch Gardens and Water Country USA is right in Willimasburg.

I'm not sure where you are going in NC, but the beaches are also nice there - outer banks and otherwise,

I assume you will be coming in the summer? if so, does she like sports events or concerts? you should check Ticketmaster for the times you will be coming as there will be lots of indoor and some outdoor concerts and tennis tournaments throughout the DC, noVA and Williamsburg/VA Beach/Norfolk area. (baseball probably won;don't interest her but it is in full swing throughout the summer).

Surrey UK
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned that e will be in DC end March

Annapolis
Level Contributor
131 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

My daughters of that age love to meet me in DC and try interesting foods at good restaurants and then take in a show. There are lots of theaters in DC and its easy to find discounted tickets especially on the weeknights. E st. cinema has a good line up of indie films. Gallery Place has a main stream movie theater and a bowling alley. If the weather is warm enough, try to grab a restaurant with outdoor seating.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

My daughters (17 and 22) enjoyed shopping and strolling in Georgetown, stopping at Georgetown Cupcakes and the huge Barnes and Noble as a break from all the museums. But that being said, they REALLY enjoyed all the museums, the Capital and White House tours, walking the memorials and monument, Arlington, etc. much more than I thought they would (I especially thought my 17 year old would become bored more quickly.) For a nice break from U.S. history, we also went to the National Gallery of Art. The pop culture section of the American History Museum has a lot of newer exhibits that they could relate to. It was really a great "girls' trip" for us. I will mention that I tried to get them to consider either a duck tour or segway and they both rolled their eyes and basically said they wouldn't be caught dead doing either. :)

Washington, D.C.
Level Contributor
747 posts
360 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

Centralcali - ha! My teenage daughter and also teenage goddaughtere and friends on another occasion loved doing a Segway tour. Kids usually like anything they have motorized control of, especially when they are in a city where no be will know them.. :)

8. Re: Any 18 yr old girls out there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2013, 10:34