We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Days Trip to Washington DC

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
2 Days Trip to Washington DC

Hi All,

I'm doing a 2 full days trip (with car) in Washington from 3rd-4th April. As I have only got 2 days :( , I have shortlisted the following places of interest:

- Tidal Basin to view the Cherry Blossoms

- Smithsonian Air and Space Udvar-Hazy Center or National Air and Space Museum (which one to go?)

- George Washington's Mount Vernon

- Smithsonian Institution Building

- Capitol Tour

- Library of Congress

I have not planned the exact schedule, but was just wondering if I am packing too many places into my itinerary, and whether I should omit any places and include some others.

Thanks in advance to all replies :)

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 Days Trip to Washington DC

The Smithsonian is a group of museums so you need to figure out what you are interested in. You don't probably have time to go out to the Udavar -Hazy Center as it is out near Dulles Airport about 45 minutes outside of DC. A trip to Mt Vernon will take a good part of one day (especially the week you are going to be here) so you may need to cut this out. If you go to Mt Vernon I would make it the first thing you day one of the days and be down there when it opens up. Later in the day it will be very busy.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,404 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 Days Trip to Washington DC

Look at www.si.edu to figure out which Smithsonian Museums you are interested in. Also on the Mall is the National Gallery of Art. Note that all Smithsonian museums are near each other, except the Udvar-Hazy, the Zoo, and the Anacostia Museum. The Renwick and Reynolds Center of American Art and Portraiture are a bit north of the Mall; everything else is on the Mall.

Short version:

Artifacts: Natural History, American History, Air & Space, Udvar-Hazy, Anacostia, Zoo

Art: Everything Else

Williamston...
Level Contributor
859 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 Days Trip to Washington DC

While the Udvar-Hazy complex does have some nice things (like the B-29 Enola Gay, a Concorde, a SR-71 Blackbird, the space shuttle Enterprise, to name a few), it also has a lot of esoteric stuff that only a true aviation/space junkie could really appreciate. I think you'd be better off sticking with the Air and Sapce museum on the Mall. It has more than enough treasures to take up at least several hours of your time.

If by Smithsonian Institution Building, you mean the original building known as The Castle, it's okay for a photo, but there's not that much terribly interesting inside. You'd be best off checking out the American History museum instead.

While you're doing the cherry blossoms, you'll definitely want to keep going around the Tidal Basin to catch the impressive Jefferson Memorial. The FDR memorial is also out that way.

Swing by the White House at some point. After all, it is one of the most famous residences in the world. And make sure to view some of the sights at night. The Lincoln Memorial and the Capitol are especially beautiful.

Mt. Vernon will take some time to visit. I'd only go there if you're a super fan of George Washington. There's so much in central DC to keep you busy.

So, I'm thinking:

Day 1 morning: cherry blossoms, Jefferson Memorial, FDR memorial

Day 1 afternoon: Air and Space Museum

Day 1 evening: view some buildings at night

Day 2 morning: Capitol tour, Library of Congress

Day 2 afternoon: American History museum

Day 2 evening: White House, other buildings at night

4. Re: 2 Days Trip to Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2013, 10:36