We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

Hi,

I land in Dulles at 3:30pm in november and the connection is out of National at 6:30pm. Connection time is 3 hours. Oh and it's a Thursday.

I want to ask if this is doable considering the traffic etc. but would they offer it if it wasn't "doable?" The flight coming in is international so if i miss the connecting flight, it's my connection flight home here in the US and it's the last flight of the night without more connections.

Part of me was even wondering that maybe this international flight routinely gets in an hour earlier or so each time so there is even more connection time. No way to really know other than speculate but they certainly didn't seem to leave you much time to change airports.

Just wondering if this sounded like a good flight choice to those of you more familiar with getting from Dulles to National. And what would be the fastest, most reliable way to do it. And the approximate cost (your best guess is fine)

Thank you so much for your help in advance! :)

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
49 reviews
from US$49.00*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
4 reviews
from US$65.00*
International Spy Museum
204 reviews
from US$19.50*
Private Smithsonian Combo Tour...
2 reviews
from US$119.00*
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable with this scenario. Assuming your flight lands right on time, you then will have to go through customs. Plus you will be traveling during rush hour. If you take a cab to National, the driver will use the Dulles Access Road, which is only for traffic going to and from the airport. Thus you will miss a good amount of rush hour traffic on the parallel toll road. This would be a timesaver, to be sure. However, once the Access Road ends, you will be in normal rush hour traffic. It's hard to say just how long it will take to get to National. Once you're at National, you'll then have to go through security again. No one can accurately predict just how long that will take.

Is the only way you can fly "next to water" is from DCA (National)? Are there any flights "next to water" from Dulles?

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,155 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

I ran your trip through Metro's trip planner. If you use Metrorail to get to National, it would go something like this. Take the Washington Flyer Bus from Dulles to the West Falls Church Metro station. According to Metro, it would take about 24 minutes to get to National (assuming that when you get to the Rosslyn Metro station, you don't have a long wait for the blue line train to National).

The Washington Flyer bus leaves Dulles at 15 and 45 past the hour. Average transit time to West Falls Church is 22 minutes.

So...Once you're through with customs, you would head over to the Washington Flyer bus stop. If you just missed the bus, you will have to wait a half hour for the next one.

This, too, could prove to be very tight when it comes to making your connection when you factor in going through airport security at National.

NOTE: The above travel scenario would work if you don't have much luggage. During rush hours, trains can get crowded.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

If you are coming in on an international flight, there is no telling how long it could take to get through immigration and customs. I don't think you are likely to make it.

DC
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

Who is the "they" who have offered you this connection? You would have to be very lucky to make it.

Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

Thank you for all of your detailed and quick responses. Tripadvisor is such a wealth of resources.

The flight scenario is through Continental. At this time we can't get a flight from dulles back home. As of now this is the only route to england using the milesmthat we want to use.

I did a few searches before i posted and the vibe was pretty much what i got here. possible, high risk, and a lot lot lot of unknowns. However i am going to save the routes suggested just in case i need them.

Worst case scenario is that we miss our connection home and spend the night in dc. it's a thursday so not a big deal to grab dinner and hotel for the night. At least we are back on home soil.

I will ponder this some more. Thank you all again!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

If you mis-connect on a miles ticket with a transfer between airports, it is possible the "flat tire rule" will not apply and you will need to pay cash for your ticket the next day. That's the rule that says if you miss your flight by less than two hours (eg due to flat tire) they will reticket you free on the next available flight. I would call Continental and ask them what happens in your miles ticket / airport change scenario.

If you clear Customs late, and find yourself with under 80 minutes to your next flight before you even leave Dulles (totally possible), I'd consider going straight to the Continental ticket counter at Dulles and ask for a reticketing. Even on empty roads, it is 40 minutes from IAD to DCA. And on a Thursday afternoon the roads won't be empty.

I would NOT book this ticket.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 19:21
Next to water
Level Contributor
300 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

Hmmmmm...i didn't realize this. I incorrectly assumed that if i missed the connection that I would just be on the next flight the next morning.

This is a BAD itinerary!!!! LOL! I'm chucking this one and searching for something else. It would be better for us to just find something out of Dulles..somewhere/somehow rather than switching airports in DC.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

It is hard to believe there are no flights after 6:30 PM to wherever you are headed. Perhaps if you stated where you are actually headed, you would get more useful help. "Next to Water" means nothing to me.

And I hope you understand that going between two airports 30 miles apart is foolish when your international flight could be 2 hours late, and you landing during prime Customs arrivals time could delay your getting through Customs way beyond the "normal" 45 minutes wait that is at Dulles even at 10 PM!

Edited: 13 February 2012, 16:28
9. Re: Dulles to Reagan National connection specific

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 June 2013, 10:45