We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington for 10 days?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Topic
Washington for 10 days?

I am planning to go to Washington in September 2013 for 10 days with my mom and dad who are 60+. I'm going to ask a few questions.

1 would it be ok for us to stay in Washington for 10 days but do day visits in Baltimore and Philadelphia via Amtrak?

2. I'm thinking of stopping in either park Hyatt or sofitel hotel for 10 days which hotel is better or do you recommend other hotels

3. Is there good public transports in Washington to see different museums and other popular tourist destinations I'm thinking of my parents cause of there age

4. Is early September best to go or late September is best to go cause of the weather

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington for 10 days?

1. Yes. You can look at www.amtrak.com to see how long each is. There is also the MARC train option to Baltimore on weekdays.

3. Metrorail, Metrobus and Circulator are all good to use to get around Washington, DC.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,954 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington for 10 days?

A day visit to Baltimore is easy. Philadelphia can also be done with a day visit, but you won't be able to see much of its many historical sites. An overnight would be better.

There are many hotels in DC. The Park Hyatt and the Sofitel are good choices, but for me the Park Hyatt is a bit too far from the closest Metro station. If I were you I would look at some other possibilities. Of course, since you are talking about over a year away for your trip, no one knows what prices will be like by then.

There is good public transportation.

A bit later in September is likely to have better weather than very early in the month.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
23 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington for 10 days?

1.) It is very possible to do DC by Marc, Amtrak, or car rental. Philly and NYC are also doable by Amtrak or by Bus (there are special coaches that just do commuter/shopper runs in and out of both cities, to include boltbus, DC2NY, etc). The buses are cheaper (around 25-30) but a little slower and are subject to traffic unlike the trains. They are nicer than common buses, though, and often offer little extras like bottled water and wifi to travellers.

You definitely *can* (and many people do) do either Philly or NYC as day trips, but it might be more relaxed/enjoyable to spend the night at either of those.

3.) Public transport is available. There is a subway (http://www.wmata.com/) a commuter rail (http://mta.maryland.gov/marc-train) and two bus systems (http://www.wmata.com/bus/ and http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/tsvtmpl.asp)

4.) mid to late? It can get pretty steamy in the summers here...

Edited: 14 February 2012, 20:56
Gaithersburg
Level Contributor
693 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington for 10 days?

Ten days is probably too much time for Washington DC. If you are going to be on the East Coast, I would branch out to Annapolis, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Virginia. Five days is about as much as DC anyone could possibly take. (Trust me, I work here.)

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,003 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington for 10 days?

As the others note, September can be pretty humid in DC. Also, even though DC has excellent public transportation, there is no getting around the fact that it still requies a LOT of walking to see "the sites". Most of the things you'll want to see are on or near the National Mall and there's no public transportation within the mall. Take a look at this map to see what I mean http://si.edu/Content/Pdf/Visit/mallmap.pdf

I agree with NeedPivo that 10 days is a lot for DC. Can you manage to do NYC also?

BIRMINGHAM
Level Contributor
97 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington for 10 days?

Hello thanks for the information guys can you pick me the top 10 tourist attractions I have got to see in Washington dc

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,954 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington for 10 days?

While the monuments and memorials would probably be on almost anyone's list, the rest are completely dependent on your interests. The Air & Space Museum is supposedly the most visited museum in the world, but some people find it a bore because they just don't have much interest in that sort of thing. They would rather spend a day at the fabulous National Gallery of Art, which is rarely mention on this forum, except as a place to get lunch. Your own interests dictate the top 10 things YOU want to see. Look at "Thing to Do" to the left on this page.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington for 10 days?

In response to how much time one should spend in D.C.......based on our experience I would say it depends on your interests. My 12 year old daughter and I spent an active packed week last Spring sightseeing and did and saw a lot. We loved the city. However, even after a full week, there were several places we really wanted to see and never got to. So, we are returning this Spring for another week, that will also be packed. If you really want to be able to reach out and almost touch history, there is lots to see and do. Hope you have as great a time as we did!

9. Re: Washington for 10 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:16