We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which district to stay in? Arlington?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which district to stay in? Arlington?

Hi all,

I'm visiting Washington DC from the UK for three or four days in May with my mother. I'm researching some hotels and wondering which district(s) I should be staying in. I've been looking at quite a few hotels in Arlington as it's close but quite a bit cheaper. Can anybody tell me anything about this neighbourhood? Is it safe, with good links to central DC, etc?

Thanks in advance!

Adam.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

They aren't called districts, except the District of Columbia of course.

We discuss this all of the time.

These are the most often recommended areas:

In DC: Dupont Circle, Penn Quarter, Downtown

in Va: Crystal City, Rosslyn

If you give your EXACT dates, number of people and bed configuration needed and nightly budget in USDs, I am sure someone can make suggestions.

Arlington is a county in Virginia with different neighborhoods. Which hotels in particular are you talking about?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

Thanks vjpbloves Italy!

There are two of us - we require two beds, our dates are 10 - 14 May, budget maximum 100USD.

I was looking at Key Bridge Marriott, Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, and a few others.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
7,359 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

Your choices are good ones, but it is unlikely you will easily find anything for $100 per night, especially after a 10% tax is added on. That is a mere GBP 66. But you can try; there may be specials, but be sure you are near a Metro station.

Silver Spring might have some less expensive rooms, as might some parts of Crystal City (remember the station there is on 18th St, stuff NEAR Crystal City may not be IN Crystal City). I'd look at various discount sites and just be sure the hotel is very close to a Metro station, or else you will have a long walk or bus ride just to get to the train itself.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

The Key Bridge Marriott and Residence Inn Arlington Capital View appear to be right around your budget (likely a few dollars over $100 each night after taxes and fees) and both are good jump-off points for touring D.C. From both hotels you are within 15-20 minutes of most major sites via Metro.

The Key Bridge Marriott is in the better location (closer to Metro, and walking distance to the shops and restaurants in Georgetown via the pedestrian friendly Key Bridge), but is an older hotel.

The Residence Inn is nearly brand new, but is at the south end of a largely commercial district and a longer walk to Metro.

So it will depend on what you value: nicer accomodations or better ease of access. I'd suggest reading the traveller reviews of both these hotels -- travellers seem to like the Residence Inn better, but the pool of reviews is far smaller -- and then booking the one of the two you feel more comfortable with.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

Take a look at the "Top Question" that deals with this subject. I think that you will find it helpful:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k427019…

6. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 25 April 2012, 00:53
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

If it were me, I would go with Rosslyn if the prices were comparable. The Rosslyn Metro station has both Orange and Blue lines running through it, so that really cuts down on the wait time hassle because you could take any train. The Orange and Blue lines are convenient to the Smithsonians, National Gallery etc. They don't split until well outside the tourist areas. It seems that more restaurants have opened up in the Crystal City area, but there are enough options in Rosslyn in my opinion. Others may disagree.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

Agree with #7. we stayed at the hyatt arlington (more than $100/night however)

getting around from rosslyn metro station to all the DC attractions even to mt vernon (via a connecting bus) was easy.

only downside is when that giant metro station escalator is not working.

quite a climb! phew.

plenty of reasonable restaurants around. rays hell burgers recommended.

santa fe cafe does a really good and cheap breakfast.

Edited: 17 February 2012, 06:03
9. Re: Which district to stay in? Arlington?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2013, 10:18