We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Swoope, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Can anyone give me some dos and dont of riding the metro. Coming to DC soon to visit the Smithsonian with my 9 year old daughter and will be staying in Vienna near the Dunn Lauring Metro stop. Wil we need to stay on one train or switch. Would also like information about going about purchasing fare for the metro.

Thanks in advance!

Washington DC All-Loops Hop-On...
49 reviews
from US$49.00*
Smithsonian National Air and Space...
4 reviews
from US$65.00*
International Spy Museum
204 reviews
from US$19.50*
Private Smithsonian Combo Tour...
2 reviews
from US$119.00*
Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

DON'T stand on the left side of any escalator in the Metro system. The left side is for walking.

DO pay attention to what's going on around you.

DON'T expect someone to give up his/her seat for your child unless she is a person in need.

DON'T eat or drink anywhere in the system. It's against the law.

You purchase farecards from the farecard machine. You use the farecard entering and exiting.

www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/vending.cfm

Map of the system (so you can see if you have to switch):

http://www.wmata.com/rail/maps/map.cfm

Edited: 29 February 2012, 21:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Here is a link so you can get a Visitor's Kit sent to you: wmata.com/getting_around/…visitorkit.cfm

The station is Dunn Loring. You can stay on the same train from Dunn Loring to the Smithsonian Metro station. Exit through the Mall exit, which will be towards the rear of the train you ride in on. If the only trip you plan to take is into the Smithsonian and back, you will just need an ordinary farecard. There are employees at each station that can help you. Or ask one of the friendly natives.

Bartlesville...
Level Contributor
941 posts
343 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

On the return trip to Dunn Loring, assuming that you are departing DC from the Smithsonian Metro Station, just be sure to catch the orange line train and not the blue line. The orange line will take you all the way back to Dunn Loring, without having to change trains. The blue line doesn't go all the way out to Dunn Loring. On the trip into the city, the orange line will be your only choice. Look at the Metro station map in the link above, and this will make sense.

Swoope, Virginia
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Thank you everyone for you suggestions...My main concern is safety especially since it is just me and my daughter but from what I read I will be fine.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Safety is not really much of a concern on the DC metro..... clean, safe, efficient, friendly...

Remember each rider needs their own farecard.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Well depending on which Smithsonian museum you plan on visiting, the Smithsonian stop may not be the best choice.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

It is unlikely you will see any crimes committed while on Metro (that is what you mean by safety, right - rather than accidents)? Your chances of being a victim of a crime on Metro are about 1 in 1.5 million.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,999 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

Crime rates on Metro are low; rates of crime other than petty theft are likely lower than those in your home town. To avoid the petty theft crimes, please keep a close watch on your personal belongings, and avoid using things like iPads, iPods, iPhones, iWhatever's while standing / sitting immediately next to the doors. The only crime I've personally seen on Metro was a snatch and run of a gentleman's BlackBerry, which the thief snatched out of his hands just before jumping off as the train doors were closing. But that's exactly one crime witnessed in 20+ years of using the system.

Also, respect the "doors closing" message even though most don't. The doors on the train are not like elevator doors -- they will not rebound and open up if you put your hands between them to try and keep them open.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,506 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

I have seen people eating and drinking on a Metro train, which officially is a crime. But not a crime that is likely to harm you.

Since "the Smithsonian" is multiple buildings, knowing exactly which of the museums you want to see could change how you get there. But most are within easy walking distance of the Smithsonian Metro station.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riding metro from Dunn Lauring to Smithsonian-Need tips

I ride the Metro and get on at the Dunn Loring station when I visit DC, and got caught last year when one Orange line track was closed last summer. There is a great deal of work going on all over the Orange line because it is being extended westward, so if you are planning on visiting on a weekend you might want to adjust your plans if there will be closings affecting the Dunn Loring station. Weekend work plans throughout the Metro system can be viewed here:

http://www.wmata.com/rail/trackwork.cfm