We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Hello All,

We arrive in Washington DC on 30th April, 2012 and leave on 4th May. I understand that the Cherry Blossom Festival concludes on 27th April.

Not knowing much about this festival, how huge it is and what impact it has on the city and crowds etc, can someone assist me please.

Will the city still be in festival mode 3 days after it finishes, will I need to readjust my plans on what I hope to see, do and visit etc.... Finally will prices be high during our visit as is a normal thing when a peak event is on in any city .

Dumb question I suppose as we will still be coming regardless - just if I know how crazy it may be I can plan ahead appropriately....

Thank you guys....... appreciate it.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Late March starts the busy season which goes through summer. Are prices of what high?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,817 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Usually the Cherry Blossom Festival lasts 2 weeks, the last few days of March and the first week of April, more or less. This years marks 100 years of the cherry trees and so the festival is lasting 5 weeks, and I don't know what that will mean to the crowds. The biggest crowds are when the trees are in bloom. And they will be long gone well before the end of April.

But what you will have at the end of April, through May, is school groups. They have already started to visit and it goes until June. Because they travel is large groups, they can be a problem if they are visiting the same thing you want to visit. But there is nothing to be done unless you change your plans.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,748 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Hotels are more expensive during high season but it can vary by day. Other items such as food, tours etc will not be more expensive or cheaper. A quick check on Kayak and it looks like many hotels in the city are running about $200-$250 per night.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Assume you're inquiring about hotel prices, they're a bit higher than normal, but still doable.

$214 will get you a room at the Marriott Metro Center

$163 at the recently-renovated Four Points by Sheraton Downtown

$159 at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria including breakfast for 2 daily and evening wine reception. I love this hotel, and the commute isn't all that bad. Old Towne is very quaint, and the King Street trolley will take you from the hotel entrance to the metro station for free!

Arlingtonman13

australia
Level Contributor
337 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Hi guys,

My concern was just how busy it is in terms of crowds after the festival concludes. Will this impact greatly on all the key tourist spots and how long I will be waiting in lines etc. As darrell indicates, the school groups will be an issue as well at this time.

Cant wait though - looking forwrad to seeing this famous city and enjoying what it has to offer.

Thank you and take care

Va
Level Contributor
11,742 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

Crowds will be minimal the time you are looking at. It is after spring break and before summer break. That is a popular time for field trips, but you won't notice any excessive lines or crowds anywhere. The tourist part of DC is fairly spread out so it will be very easy to get from point to point. As stated, when the trees are in bloom, it will be crowded around the tidal basin, but they will be long gone by the time you are here.

7. Re: How busy is DC just after Cherry Festival ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2013, 10:35