We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel trouble!

Level Contributor
393 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel trouble!

We just decided to visit DC during spring break. I'm looking for a reasonable place for a family of 4 for 3 nights in April. Very few rooms under $200. are around!! How about the Hilton Garden Franklin Square of Georgetown Suites. Any reccommendations are helpful. Thanks.

Pittsburg, KS
Level Contributor
149 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel trouble!

I'm a new poster, but I've been so impressed with the Kimpton hotels. I'm guessing you have 2 adults and 2 children. I typed that in to the Hotel Helix, and I got an average price of $149 a night for the days of April 13-16. Check the rate details, because the rate changed from $139-169. I don't know your dates, but you should try it out. It's a boutique hotel, so it's a little different. I don't know if it's your thing. It's five blocks north of the monuments and museums. Check out the other Kimpton hotels, as well. Good luck!

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
37 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel trouble!

Residence Inn by Marriott in Pentagon City is a great place. Plenty of room for the family to spread out, free breakfast each AM and a short walk to the metro. The hotel has a shuttle and would drive you and pick you up if you did not want to walk. We went in to DC several times and did the typical things like Air and Space. The ride in on the metro was very easy. We also had our car so at night we would drive when we went far- like to Georgetown or Old Town to eat dinner. There were also several places to eat right around the hotel at and around the Mall. One more thing is they also have a pool for your kids if they are interested. It was a good activity for my kids after a day of sight seeing. One odd thing was it did not open until around 5 during the week.

I am not sure of the rate during April.

We stayed their during Feb. vacation and thought it was very good. Would stay again without question.

Hope this helps.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel trouble!

Be sure to read the reviews posted here under "hotels" for any hotel you're considering. Some reviews of the Helix mention mice!

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel trouble!

Mice?!? That's a new one - I thought the Kimpton chain offered only goldfish to their lonely guests!

The Hilton Garden is convenient to everything (across the street from a Metro Station), and I think they even offer a morning breakfast. Otherwise, it might be hard to find a cheap room during spring break, just like it's hard to find a cheap room this weekend due to the cherry blossom festival.

Have you looked at suburban Maryland or Virginia? Kvandy is a local expert for the trans-Potomac area just outside of DC.

bay area
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel trouble!

Hi Queezi - we just booked via travelzoo the Hyatt Regency for $99/night. When you get to the travelzoo site hit under hotels, Washington DC. thought it was a good deal...read a few reviews of the hotel -complaints were bums who are harmless hang around (wouldn't worry), thin walls (earplugs can fix that) and workout room/pool charge...hope you find a suitable room! good luck!

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel trouble!

Queezi --

While I do recommend staying in DC while sightseeing, you do have some options in Northern Virginia.

I suggest you check out the Crystal City/Pentagon City area of Arlington. Pentagon City is three stops on Metro to DC (L'Enfant Plaza -- Air and Space and American Indian) or four stops on Metro into the Smithsoanian stop.

Often staying in Arlington can save you big bucks and you are around the same stops into DC.