We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

Mass
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

We are doing a bus trip from Mass. and we are booked to stay at the Embassy Suites in Herndon, VA. I am not happy about this location as we plan on doing an itenerary based on our own interests (there does not look to be a metro station in this area). What would be the the best mode of transportation from Herndon to downtown Washington - I have tried to research but nothing at all looks to be good. Thanks for any advice

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,253 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

I don't blame you for being unhappy; it's not a very good location at all for sightseeing in Washington, miles away from the city.

if you're stuck and can't change hotels, I think your only real option is to take the hotel shuttle to Dulles Airport and take the bus from there.

(See the "How do I get from the aiport..." section in the top Questions on the right of this page).

washington dc
Level Contributor
3,889 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

Yeah - terrible location - sorry! Perhaps the hotel runs a shuttle to West Falls Church Metro, which would be the most direct. Otherwise get to Dulles airport and take the bus.

If you're adventurous however, and willing to leave early 7-8 a.m. you could get lucky with a "slug line." These are designated spots where commuters pick up extra passengers so they can use the HOV lanes into the city. I found this link for Herndon. www.slug-lines.com/am_lines/herndon.asp

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

Rather than the "slug line", have the hotel shuttle you to the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride (this is where the slug line is). From the Park and Ride, you can take a Fairfax Connector bus to the West Falls Church Metro station. This Embassy Suites does indeed offer a free shuttle (within a certain radius) for its guests. The Park and Ride isn't very far from the hotel.

Mass
Level Contributor
161 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

Is 5A bus the Fairfax connector bus?? I find that we can get Bus 5A at the Herndon-Monroe Pk & Rd & Bus Bay A that will take us to N Moore St & Rosslyn Station Bus BA - and Walk to Rosslyn Metro metro sta - arriving at Smithsonian Metro station - I do not find a route that brings us to the West Falls Church Metro station??? Should we be taking this 5A bus to Rosslyn? As always, thanks so much for all the TA responses - You folks are a wealth of knowledge

I

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

No, the 5A is a Metrobus. The Fairfax Connector buses are different. Take a look at the following link. You will want to look at routes that Mention the Herndon-Monroe Park and Ride:

fairfaxcounty.gov/connector/routes/north.htm

That said, you could get the 5A bus and it will take you into DC. Not only does the 5A bus stop in Rosslyn but its end point is L'Enfant Plaza in DC. However, it only runs once every 40 minutes while the Fairfax Connector leaves the Park and Ride far more frequently.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

It would make very little sense to get off at Rosslyn and then take the metro to Smithsonian because LEnfant Plaza, the next stop by the 5a bus after Rosslyn, is a very quick walk to the Mall and all the same sights as the Smithsonian station. You need to look at a map.

the bigger issue is that the 5a bus only comes every 30 minutes so you would really need to time it right with the hotel shuttle or you will be spending a lot of time waiting.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

Our son and family are moving to Herndon. We shall be visiting from the UK and wonder if public transport between the town and DC has changed since the last posting in April.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

no.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

I also thought of the 5A Metro bus. See www.wmata.com. Stops at the Rosslyn Metro station and L'Enfant Plaza Metro station. Short ride from either one to most points in DC on Metro Rail, and from the latter you can easily walk to the Mall. Quite close to the Air & Space Museum. I'm sure the hotel would help you find transportation options.

Edited: 25 August 2012, 13:40
Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,144 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from Herndon, Va (Dulles airport) to downtown

Please read my post, Sutter. The hotel could shuttle them to the Herndon-Monore Park and Ride where they can get a Connector Bus to the West Falls Church Metro station.

Besides, this thread is from March. I assume that the OP has long since come and gone.