We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June family trip tips please.

Versailles, Ky
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
June family trip tips please.

Am travelling with 14, 16, 19 year old kids, their grandparents (my inlaws) and my lovely wife of 25 years to d.c. for anniversary trip. will be in d.c. for 4 days or so and need tip for lodging. Stayed lenfant plaza hotel with same troop 10 years ago. Liked it ok but am open to other suggestions. Primary focus is the museums and mall.

thx in advance.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June family trip tips please.

What is your room budget per night? What dates will you be in town? How many rooms will you need?

Versailles, Ky
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: June family trip tips please.

Dates negotiable but roughly 6/2-6/6. With 7 of us will need 2 rooms adjoining or 2 suites or a vacation rental or B&B that can accomodate us all. Preferably near to the Smithsonians.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June family trip tips please.

What's your room budget per night?

Versailles, Ky
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: June family trip tips please.

250 per night

washington dc
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June family trip tips please.

Any place near a metro is near the Smithsonian - (which is many museums over 1+ miles with 4 metro stations) You would do best with a vacation rental - Homeaway, VRBO - but still unlikely to find any sleeping space (at least 2 bedrooms plus sleep sofa in living room) for 7 at 250 per night. Really, to enjoy yourselves and not kill each other, you want 3 bedrooms. I know there are some options in Columbia Heights, Tacoma Park. If you are really stuck at $250 - there are hostels with private or family rooms - the William Penn House for example. williampennhouse.org/group_reservations - but even they charge $135 per night for a family of 4, so you would still be paying $270.00 per night.

Perhaps adjust your expectations.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,147 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: June family trip tips please.

Go to www.quikbook.com Enter your dates. That's what I did, I entered your dates plus the number of rooms you need and how many people per room. There are many hotels that fall in your price range. Just note that nightly rates are "average rates". What quikbook does is take the nightly rate for each night and comes up with an "average rate". Many hotels charge more per night on weeknights and less on weekend nights. Thus the "average rate". Each rate is for one room. I assume that you want to spend around $250 per room? If so, then you do have options:

Donovan House $244/night

Latham Hotel Georgetown $179

The Normandy $220

Embassy Row Hotel $184

Best Western Georgetown Suites $210

State Plaza Hotel $204

Georgetown Suites $225

Carlyle Suites $244

Days Inn Connecticut Avenue $150

If any of these hotels interest you, read the reviews that are posted here on TA. It will help you come to an informed decision. I see that you want to be near the Smithsonians. While none of these hotels is near the Smithsonians, you can easily get to the museums using Metro.

Just a word about vacation apartment rentals --- If you want to go that route, use due diligence. There are scams out there plus sometimes the property being rented does not match the description in the ad. Also, some are not in the best neighborhoods.

Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,188 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: June family trip tips please.

Here's a tip from our familiy trip: the best & cheapest place to eat when near the Capitol offices is in one of the House or Senate cafeterieas. Good food, reasonablly priced. Just ask one of the many Capitol Police for directions. Here's some menus

Senate go.compass-usa.com/senate/content/menus.asp

House go.compass-usa.com/house/content/menus.asp

Cafeterias are located in the House and Senate office buildings

8. Re: June family trip tips please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:41