We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

Next weekend, we have a long 5 days weekend. Excluding transport from Montreal, we have 4 days to visits either Washington only, or 2 days in Washington and 2 days in Philadelphia.

What do you think would be the best?

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Washington
Washington
United States
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

Definitely 4 days in Washington. Unless you are staying with friends in both cities, it takes a little while to get in and out and find your way around, get a sense of the place etc. Philadelphia is fun, but for only 4 days, you won't even see 1/10th of DC.

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

I vote for four days in Washington D.C.. You might want to consider going to Philidelphia on another long weekend. It's a great city. Are you aware most museums are free in D.C.?

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

I definitely vote for 4 days in DC, would go longer if you can...but I enjoy Philly too.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,166 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

It's up to you. I think one thing to factor into the equation---if you devote the 4 days to one city, do you think at some point you will be able to visit the other city? If you think that this will be the only chance you get to visit both DC and Philadelphia, then spend 2 days in each.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Teaneck, NJ
Destination Expert
for New Jersey
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

The cities are very different and each has it's own delights. DC is, for most people, a museum/monument experience. I'm not saying there's nothing else to do there, just that most people spend their time in museums or seeing monuments. Philly has some excellent museums too, but it's a different experience (and if your interest is primarily museums, then DC wins hands down). First of all, it has a residential feel to it, almost everywhere you go will be in or near neighborhoods where people live and that gives it a charm that is different than DC's. Second, Philly is about colonial US history with many 18th century buildings still standing, in use and open to the public (DC has few such buildings, as far as I know).

This excellent site lists all of histoic Philadelphia and may help you to decide http://www.ushistory.org/tour/index.html

With all that said, though, you can easily spend 4 full days in DC.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,477 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

"First of all, it has a residential feel to it, almost everywhere you go will be in or near neighborhoods where people live and that gives it a charm that is different than DC's. "

A funny response - in a sad kind of way! People do actually live in neighborhoods in Washington DC! Most tourists don't seem to be aware of this, but outside of the monument & museum zone are many lively unique neighborhoods where real people live in real houses, with kids and schools and neighborhood pubs and farmer's markets and everything.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
213 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

I'm not sure how the travel time factors into things (how much time will be wasted going from DC to Philly). But I think you can hit the highlights of Philly in 1 day (Liberty Bell and Independence Hall). So I might consider 3 days in DC and 1 in Philly if this is likely the only opportunity to visit the area.

Las Vegas, New...
Level Contributor
273 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

The suggestion for 3 days in DC and 1 in Philly seems like a good idea.

Another question/ comment: how are you planning on going from DC to Philly? Do you intend to drive, take Amtrak, take a plane, or none of these?

IF you are not driving, taking Amtrak to Philly might be a worthwhile idea to consider (given you do not have too much luggage).

Mentioned in this post
Amtrak
Amtrak
21 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
758 posts
427 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

i would not split 3 days in dc and 1 day philly - a lot of traveling starts and stops, checking into 2 hotels over a long weekend? doesn't make sense. 4 days in DC would be the recommendation and then go back to philly another time.

10. Re: Washington 4 days or 2 days Washington + 2 days Philadelphia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:40