We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

I am staying in Embassy Suites on 1250 - 22nd Street NW in Washington DC. Which airport to I fly to Dulles International Airport or BWI Airport if I was coming from San Francisco. Thanks.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,140 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Ideally, the best airport for reaching your hotel with ease would be DCA (Reagan National). However, if that's not possible...It's a toss-up between IAD and BWI. Both have taxis available. Both have buses that will take you to a Metro station. One difference --- there is train service at BWI---either Amtrak or the MARC commuter train. For all your travel options, take a look at the first "Top Questions about Washington DC" that appears on the right-hand of this forum page --- "How do I get from the airport (BWI, DCA, or IAD) to DC?":

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k300107…

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Definitely fly into DCA (Reagan) if you can. I know there are plenty of flights from SFO that fly into DCA. Sometimes the flights to DCA are more expensive than to the other two airports, but unless it is saving you hundreds, it's totally worth it to fly into the closer airport (DCA).

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

"Definitely fly into DCA (Reagan) if you can. "

Agreed. But DCA has limited flights to the west coast without connecting somewhere. I'm not sure they have any flights at all to San Francisco.

Depending on price and time, it may be just as easy (or quicker) to use IAD or BWI.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Well, the OP didn't say they were only interested in non-stop flights. Of course it's always nice to get those, but it can be difficult from anywhere flying all the way across the country. I flew from Fresno to DCA with one stop in Dallas and I would rather take the tram in Dallas for free between terminals and have a short layover and get to stretch my legs than have to worry about getting myself from BWI or IAD into D.C. after a long day of travel. But admittedly everyone is different and I do know people (including my mother) who would do anything to avoid a layover. It's nice to be able to explore all the options and decide what works best for your own travel style.

Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Hi Centralcalitraveler,

Thank you for your response. I would prefer non-stop from San Francisco to Washington DC. United Airlines has one non-stop flight from San Francisco and DCA (Reagan). The flight from DCA to SFO is 8:00am and my daughter's conference ends at 10:00am.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

That's too bad that won't work for you. Trying to figure out cross-country flights can be such a pain! If I want non-stop to anywhere but Vegas or SLC I have to drive 4 hours to LAX or SFO, so if I can get a good rate from Fresno with only one stop I feel like I've won the lottery, lol! Good luck on getting it all figured out! :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,518 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

Fresno is not San Francisco. There are non-stop flights SFO-BWI and SFO-IAD, both on United. There are as many as 10 flights a day between SFO-IAD nonstop because both are United hubs.

I agree Fresno is a pain for flying back east. I stay out on Herndon Ave and have to leave the hotel at 4:15 in the morning if I want to be home before the next day!

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

IrishFan, ha ha, yes I know Fresno and SFO are very different - I didn't always live in the San Joaquin Valley, although I'm continually surprised by the people I meet here that have never been on a plane or even driven anywhere besides Pismo! I was just commenting that since having to take flights with one or more stops I have actually grown to like being able to break up the trip a little, as long as the layover isn't toooooo long, and that may work better for some people, while others, like the OP, prefer non-stops.

And totally off topic, but what brings you to Fresno so often, do you work out here on occasion?

10. Re: Re: Flying from San Francisco to Washington DC Which Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 22:15