We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Desserts/bakery???

NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Desserts/bakery???

Hi looking for a good place for desserts/sweet treats? We were in the embassy suites dc area this weekend.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Desserts/bakery???

There are three Embassy Suites in DC and several more in the immediate suburbs. There are lots of cupcake places scattered around, if that will work. One of them may be near whichever ES hotel you are going to be in.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,323 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Desserts/bakery???

I have seen Georgetown Cupcakes mentioned here repeatedly so do a search for them. I havent had any personal experience with them.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,596 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Desserts/bakery???

I like Paul bakery at the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro Stop

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,172 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Desserts/bakery???

I believe Georgetown Cupcakes are the most famous, but my impression is that they are not the best. But I am not a cupcake fan and would not even consider standing in line for any cupcake. A Krispy Kreme is fine and so much cheaper.

NY
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Desserts/bakery???

Oops sorry we are at convention center one. Feel absent minded from all the walking lol.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Desserts/bakery???

Crumbs at 11th and F or Red Velvet at 7th and E are the closest tasty cupcake places to you. Both are very good, never a long line.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Desserts/bakery???

Crumbs cupcakes are huge ($5) cupcakes that make me sick if I eat an entire cupcake in one sitting. If you eat it over the course of two days, you might be fine. That said, I don't care for their icing (and they put a MOUNTAIN of it on the cake). It is an overly sweet, cream cheese frosting that doesn't sit well with me. To show you the size of these monsters, here's a picture of their red velvets:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.365067!/img/httpImage/image.jpg

If you are confined to your hotel's immediate area, then Red Velvet would be my top suggestion. I love their vegan white velvet cupcakes for a guilt-free indulgence. They're so good that they don't taste healthy (if you get what I mean...).

If you wander about from your hotels area and into Georgetown, Baked and Wired is an awesome cupcakery. Their cupcakes are smaller than Crumbs but still pretty big and the icing is much better. There is also a Sprinkles in Georgetown (the CA chain) but I haven't been there yet so can't attest to the quality of their cupcakes.

Georgetown Cupcake has a TV show (DC Cupcakes) and while I am a huge fan of the show and the sisters that own it (Katherine & Sophie), I think that the cupcakes are among the worst I've ever had. Very small (but the $2.75 price makes up for that) and from my experiences, the cupcakes have been dry and the icing has been that terrible cream cheese frosting similar to what Crumbs uses. Also, their lines wrap around the block (Every time I've driven past, it's been packed...) due to the popularity of their TV show (seen in the link below) so unless you are a fan of the sisters or their TV show, I would avoid it like the plague.

…georgetownvoice.com/wp-content/…DSC_0195.jpg

Also, if you venture over into Arlington, my FAVORITE bakery around is BakeShopVA, in Clarendon. The best, lightest cupcake with whipped buttercream frosting...delicious!

Arlingtonman13

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Desserts/bakery???

Another delicious sweet treat is Tangy Sweet frozen yogurt, right next to the aforementioned Red Velvet.

And I agree with arlingtonman that you could easily split a Crumbs cupcake with a friend, but I find the icing delicious myself.

Edited: 09 April 2012, 16:02
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Desserts/bakery???

For something fancier, there's Co Co. Sala, which bills itself as a chocolate lounge and boutique. It's only a couple of blocks from your hotel.

www.cocosala.com

Further afield, but still within easy walking distance, there's a branch of Pitango Gelato in Penn Quarter.

www.pitangogelato.com/locations.php

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,146 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Desserts/bakery???

I also recommend Red Velvet Cupcakery. As mentioned, they do offer up a "white velvet" cupcake that is vegan and gluten free. They also have a "black velvet" one that is also vegan and gluten free. Of the 2, IMO, the black velvet is the tastier one.

www.redvelvetcupcakery.com

There is also "Hello Cupcake"

www.hellocupcakeonline.com

Also, in Georgetown, there is Sprinkles:

www.sprinkles.com

and Baked and Wired, which in addition to cupcakes, offers up other desserts plus coffee:

www.bakedandwired.com

and Pie Sisters, which, as its name suggests has whole pies and tartlets (individual sized pies):

www.piesisters.com

I also second Pitango Gelato!

There is also CakeLove, which is in the U Street Corridor:

www.cakelove.com

Edited: 09 April 2012, 22:05