We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

Hi.

I'm staying at the Washington Court Hotel and though the restaurant there looks great it is rather expensive.

Can anyone recommend any good alternative options within walking distance?

Thanks

Jon

Mentioned in this post
Washington Court Hotel
Washington Court Hotel
1,526 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

Just stayed there a couple of weeks ago. There are a number of pubs in the area and you are only a couple of blocks from Union Station which has many restaurants from fast food to fine dining. Unfortunately, I didn't pay that much attention to specific names but the staff there was very friendly and can guide you depending on what you are looking for. Not sure why you need walking distance as the Metro will get you just about anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,998 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
CT
Level Contributor
65 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

Near Union Station is the Dubliner, which is an Irish Pub. They had very reasonably priced items and we enjoyed it.

As the previous poster said, there are LOTS of options at Union Station. In the bottom level is a Food Courts which has a Johnny Rockets. On the Main Level is Thunder Grill which is very good too.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,998 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Thunder Grill
Thunder Grill
335 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
3. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 May 2012, 04:00
Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,257 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

if you thought the hotel restaurant was expensive 701 is not a better option. very nice just not any bargain. Irish pub is more fun.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

Oh dear, Thunder Grill is really bad. I walk by there every date commuting and think about the terrible meal I had there.

If you want cheap (better) Mexican food, try La Loma just down Massachusetts Avenue. Bistro Cacao, Cafe Berlin, and White Tiger are all within walking distance of your hotel as well. Also close by are some good Union Station choices, including Chipotle and Chopt.

But I agree with Neslaw--the neighborhood immediately around your hotel is not a gourmet destination, and there are several dense restaurant districts just a quick Metro or taxi ride away (Barracks Row, Chinatown, H Street NE). Once you come all this way, no use in skipping the good restaurant neighborhoods. To give you a London analogy, it would be like staying in the City on a weekend night and ignoring all the great places to eat near Soho/Covent Garden.

Mentioned in this post
Thunder Grill
Thunder Grill
335 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Massachusetts
Massachusetts
United States
Bistro Cacao
Bistro Cacao
323 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Cafe Berlin
Cafe Berlin
311 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Union Station
Union Station
1,998 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
London
London
Ontario, Canada
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

America at Union Station is closed (and had gone downhill over the last several years too). In that area, the Dubliner is always a good choice. The restaurants on the Senate side of the Captiol (Cafe Berlin, White Tiger, etc...) tend to be better than those on the House side on Pennsylvania Avenue. The exception might be Sonoma, which I have always enjoyed.

If you do venture down to Barracks Row, there are several excellent restaurants including Matchbox (also in Chinatown), Cava (Mediterranean tapas), Chesapeake Room (a little pricey), Ted's Bulletin, and several others.

dctravel

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,998 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
The Dubliner
The Dubliner
121 Reviews
New Hope, PA
Cafe Berlin
Cafe Berlin
311 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania
United States
Chesapeake
Chesapeake
Virginia
Ted's Bulletin
Ted's Bulletin
997 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
Level Contributor
1,355 posts
405 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

Hi

I researched America and it seems to be closed.

8. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 May 2012, 15:39
United States of...
Level Contributor
128 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

The space where America was in Union Station is currently under renovation. I read somewhere that Capitol City Brewing Company is going to take over the space, though when passing by I haven't seen any signs to confirm that.

Mentioned in this post
Union Station
Union Station
1,998 Reviews
Washington DC, DC
10. Re: Restaurant recommendations on Capitol Hill

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 21:40