We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

My hubby and I are spending the weekend in DC. Anyone want to help me narrow down restaurant choices to a romantic place in Woodley park? Thx.

Sterling, VA
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
12,137 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

One Metro stop away at Cleveland Park is Palena, 3529 Connecticut Ave., NW (near Porter Street). Tom Sietsema, The Post's food critic, ranks it among his top 50 favorite restaurants.

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

Mrs. Simpson's (as in Wallis Warfield). Rarely do you get romance and royalty associated with such a fine dining establishment.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,456 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

Also check out New Heights in Woodley Park on Calvert Road (across from the Omni). The food and atmosphere are quite excellent.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

I agree with SueFee that Palena would be perfect, but odds are you won't be able to get a reservation at this late date. So my suggestion would be Afghan Grill: excellent service and very good food served in a small, quiet and lovely dining room -- and less expensive than Palena!

http://www.afghangrilldc.com

Another possibility might be Little Fountain Cafe (a bit further afield):

http://www.littlefountaincafe.com

The ambiance would be perfect, but I don't know anyone who's eaten there recently; because restaurants are so subject to change, I'm always hesitant to recommend a restaurant when I've not been there lately or not heard recent word-of-mouth.

A p.s. : Mrs. Simpson's is now Pesto Ristorante.

http://pestodc.com

Washington, DC
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

Has it been that long since I'd been there?!? It seems like just the other day it had reopened! It was a warm, cozy little hideaway for a romantic rendezvous. How's the ambiance at Pesto?

Level Contributor
2,466 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

Simpsons has been closed for several years, drwong. We found out the hardway by just showing up one night. However, you do get partial credit for recommending a place actually you've been to.

Ravenchiq, the walk up the hill on Conn ave to the Cleveland Park area is pleasant and it is worth it for a better selection of restaurants. Woodley Park restaurants, with two very large hotels nearby, are generally noiser. You could also metro 1 stop to Cleveland park, but on nice spring night do the walk.

Some Cleveland Park destinations my wife and I on a romantic evening:

Ardeo* - American Moderne

Bardeo* - a "small plates" restaurant and wine bar, a great choice if you don't want to stuff yourselves. Maybe too busy some nights to be 'romantic' but we've had many enjoyable evenings there.

Lavendou (some say "Laven don't", but ignore them) a "french bistro"

Palena - reservations needed on a weekend I would think. Very nice and priced accordingly.

There's always a new restaurant arriving in the area.

For a little fun before or after there's a friendly dive called Atomic Billiards. You can just drink if you want billiard playing is not required, but be sure to check out the "Atomic Age" decor. The couches, lamps, and wall clock are vintage 50's living room.

A well known DC drinking hole, "Irelands 4 P's" is handy as well.

Movie afterwards: The best theater in the city (best theater south of NYC?) is there too: The Uptown.

* These two places are next to each other but only share dessert menus and owners. Seperate kitchens

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic restaurant in Woodley Park

Jack, by any chance have you been to Lavandou since it recently changed hands? I hesitated to suggest it to ravenchiq primarily for that reason.

drwong, you asked about Pesto. It kinda missed the mark for me. Now part of that is because Italian food is not something I've found myself craving in the past year or two. So unless I think the food is exceptional -- like what I thorouglhy enjoyed at Verdura Cucina Rustico in Great Barrington, MA -- I'm not going to be as enthusiastic about any Italian restaurant as most any other patron. And, I wasn't bowled over by Pesto. The dining rooms at the other two places are more romantic settings than Pesto (or Lavandou) imo. I realize, however, that we don't all share the same idea of what "romantic" is, so that's why I gave the URL for Pesto too, so she could see what it looks like. But, the major reason I didn't recommend Pesto for this particular occasion is that I thought the service was a bit too "intrusive" (albeit in a well-intentioned, friendly manner) and that Mr. & Ms. chiq might appreciate being left more "alone" ;-)