We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DC Metro Fare Cards

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
L S
Burnsville, North...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
DC Metro Fare Cards

My husband, son and I are planning a trip to DC in June. We are staying at a hotel on the beltway and plan to utilize the Metrorail for transportation. Not sure how the fare cards work, not having been to DC before, and not sure if everyone needs a card or just one card with lots of money on it.....HELP!

Thanks!

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

Yes, everyone needs a card. If you have a guidebook it likely has a section about Metro. www.wmata.com is the official Metrorail and Metrobus site.

Where are you staying. I guess maybe you mean outside the Beltway?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,850 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

Near the top right on this page under Top Questions there is a link to a topic about using Metro. That should help you some. If you are going to be in DC for more than 3 days it might be cheaper to buy a pass for each person rather than a regular farecard. But where you plan to stay makes a big difference in calculating the costs. If you are out by the Beltway, the round-trip Metro cost can be more than $10 per person per day.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

Everyone needs their own fare card. It is a little confusing to choose between the various cards available. It all depends on your plans. You should look at the metro site. If your head starts spinning trying to figure out the cheapest option, the easiest is to buy paper farecards starting with a base amount, say $10 or $20 depending on how much you plan to use it, and then add to it as necessary. The amount remaining on a card prints out on it each time it is used.

Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

We just bought a seven day pass even though we were only there four. You'll be amazed how much you'll use the Metro so getting the rechargeable farecard will cost more in the long run.

Ballygowan...
Level Contributor
299 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

I'm planning on getting the 7 day short trip pass at $32.35. Although we'll only be there for 5 full days, it's cheaper than the $45 it would cost for 5 single day passes. And the trip planner on the wmata website allows you to calculate whether a particular journey will cost in excess of the $3.25 limit at peak times.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

"I'm planning on getting the 7 day short trip pass at $32.35."

Just FYI, the price will rise to $35 on July 1

washingtonpost.com/local/…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
19,850 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

The fares on Metro are going up on July 1 and there are changes to the passes. The limited day-pass will be eliminated and an unrestricted day-pass will cost $14. The price for a 7-day pass is also going up.

Ballygowan...
Level Contributor
299 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

Thanks to vjpblovesitaly and Darrell6t for the heads up on the price increase and the interesting article in the Washington Post. Sounds like the metro may not be as good as I'm expecting! Still not as expensive as London Underground tho!

9. Re: DC Metro Fare Cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 13:42