We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st wedding anniversary dinner

Hartford...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
1st wedding anniversary dinner

Hi,

My husband and I are spending our first wedding anniversary in DC. At first i was thinking of doing a nice dinner cruise on the Odessey but I recieved a call saying that they do not have any scheduled for our date.

Anyone have any recommendations of restaurants that are around the Caital area? Maybe something by the water or something that has a view of the monuments?

Our budget is $$-$$$

We're planning our trip towards the end of June. Any ideas would greatly be appreciated.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

There are no nice restaurants with a view of any monuments except the Washington, because it is so tall. Charlie Palmer's has a nice view of the Capitol building, and is near the Capitol. And for some odd reason, there are no particularly good places with a view of the river.

Is there any particular type of cuisine that you would prefer? That might help to narrow the choices a bit.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

Thank you for your reply back.

No specific cuisine in mind, although we do enjoy Seafood, American (steaks) and Italian. But we're open for anything.

Thank you again!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

Sequioa on the georgetown waterfront has a nice water view

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
54 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

I second the Charlie Palmer recommendation. It is my husband's favorite steak house. We've gone there for his birthday for the past 2 years. The first time we were there, they offered to take us up to the rooftop terrace to get a view of the Capitol building after our meal. I'm sure they would take you up there if you ask (if there isn't an event going on). They told us it is the closest non-government building to the Capitol building.

Sequioa is in Georgetown and is on the water, but I don't love the food. Whenever I have been there, it has been loud. So it's not somewhere I would recommend for an anniversary dinner. There are also some restaurants in Georgetown that have outdoor seating on the canal, but I can't make an specific recommendations because I haven't been to any for dinner.

I've never been, but would like to go to POV at the W Hotel. There is a rooftop terrace bar. I don't think you can eat dinner out there, but you could do cocktails.

The only other place I know of on the water (with water views) is Chart House in Old Town Alexandria. I went for Valentine's day one year and I would go back. However, if you are staying in DC, I wouldn't make the trek out to Alexandria just for this restaurant. But if Old Town Alexandria is on your list of places to see, it might be a good option.

Level Contributor
107 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

opentable.com/pov-at-the-w-hotel-washington-…

CHECK OUT the POV at the W - it is more of a club type bar - but they have comfortable tables and chairs, chic decor, and great views of the Washington Monument. The tapas type menu is good, but again, not a full service restaurant. if you want the view - this is the place.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

If you are looking for a view Sou'Wester supposidly has a great view. Below is part of the review by the Washington Post Restaurant Critic:

The name suggests something folksier than the chic interior delivers. But the food at CityZen's simpler sibling in the plush Mandarin Oriental, helmed since January by chef de cuisine Eddie Moran, is newly seductive. Hot hush puppies break open to reveal fluffy centers, crisp oysters reinforce the kitchen's knack for frying, and every slice of the knife draws juice from chicken cooked beneath a brick and brightly seasoned with a jam of Meyer lemon and rosemary. Sou'Wester's lamb soup - packed with comfort in the form of ham, tomato, beans, greens and chopped cured lamb flank - was a winter obsession of mine; the bowl deserves permanent residency on the menu.

Inside advice: Tables 91 through 94 come with views of the Potomac, but the most romantic of the landings here might be No. 86, overlooking the Tidal Basin.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

Thank you all for your wonderful feedback. I'll look into each one and go from there.

For those who have pointed out Sequia and about it being loud, your right, not sure I want to have my first anniversary dinner yelling across the table. Although the place looks nice that we might check it out afterwards for drinks.

The more I read about limited restaurants that do not have water views, I'm starting to rethink that I might want something that will give us a gorgeous scenic view.

Thank you again!!

pescadita

8. Re: 1st wedding anniversary dinner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:16