We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fourth of July

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
kansas
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fourth of July

I will be in Manassas July 3 & 4 visiting grandchildren. Is it insane to try to take the Metro in for the parade? How early should we try to be on the parade route?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fourth of July

If you do not stay for the fireworks it will not be that insane as people tricklel into the city through out the day. I have no knowledge of the parade. Remember most metro parking lots will fill up on the 4th so have an alternative picked out (ie Balston Mall parking garage) if the lots are full.

I would not recommend taking the metro if you are staying for the fireworks. It is insane after they are overwith. If you want to see the fireworks think about viewing them from somewhere in Virginia like the Carillon near Rosslyn

kansas
Level Contributor
64 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fourth of July

Thanks for the into. I had already decided not to stay for the fireworks as I am not comfortable with the crowds and grandkids in the dark. My son has a work parking spot near the terminal metro station so we should be good in that regard. I have dealt with the DC crowds before as I did attend the 2009 inauguration but I was with a friend not children so it was a different ballgame. Thanks, I love your city and visit three or four times a year.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fourth of July

Yes, metro is really, really crowded afterward. But if you hang around for about an hour afterwards, it is much less crowded. Walk down to the WW2, Lincoln and Vietnam Memorials. It will be a bit like swimming upstream, but doable after a bit, or just sit tight and let the crowd dissipate. Because they now fence off the area with controlled entry and exit points, it does channel people leaving into a limited number of exit points. I would describe it as like a cattle drive, except with people.

There are lots of other places to view the fireworks, but nothing compares to being around the Washington Monument to get the full effect.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,699 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fourth of July

Dave, I think you're talking about the fireworks. The OP is just coming into town for the parade on Constitution Avenue earlier in the day.

Williamston...
Level Contributor
808 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fourth of July

I would say get to the parade route at least 1-2 hours early. I went once just before it began and the crowd was 3-4 deep. You know what I wish I could've had? A portable step stool to give me another 8 inches of height.

6. Re: Fourth of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:15