We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip this weekend

gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip this weekend

So my sons (13 and 7) are asking to visit DC on Saturday. We drive down from Gettysburg to Shady Grove to take the Metro in. Some quick questions:

-Other than some G8 issues that may or may not happen around Thurmont, MD, are there any planned events on the DC end that might impact a trip?

-The youngest wants to go to Natural History, and the oldest to the Hirshhorn. I was thinking of arriving at Natural History at 10 and then going to the Hirshhorn after lunch...but it is the last weekend for Song 1. Should we shift our plans to later in the day? (I think it's neat that my oldest wants to visit the Hirshhorn, but I'm not entirely sure of how interested he will be. I do know that they both love Natural History. I guess my question is, is Song 1 something that kids would enjoy?)

Thanks so much for any advice...

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip this weekend

This weekend the Red Line will have two work zones with trains single-tracking. One is between Friendship Heights and Van Ness. This means your trip may take longer than usual. "Song 1" is projected on the Hirshhorn after dark. So you won't be able to see it in the afternoon. washingtonpost.com/blogs/arts-post/post/doug…

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,276 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip this weekend

Here is some info about Song 1, most of it the date has been changed to May 20 with the one-week extension. It starts at sunset. There is still lots to see at the Hirshhorn during the day though. I was there a few days ago and don't recall anything particularly inappropriate. "Big Man" is naked, but great fun, and somewhat scary, sculpture. It is on the lower level galleries. smithsonianmag.com/multimedia/…52199777.html (I have not gone down to see "Song 1".)

Edited: 17 May 2012, 13:57
gettysburg, pa
Destination Expert
for Gettysburg
Level Contributor
994 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip this weekend

Thanks for the link! We're all intrigued by "Big Man"...think we will stick with the early in the day plan instead of staying late for Song 1. Sunset is so late right now that it would make for a very long day.

And thanks for the heads-up about the longer trip on the Red Line. I'll make sure that the kids have books to read!

4. Re: Day trip this weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 04:41