We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

Watched a video from 6/7/12. Looks like not a calm straight stroll from the Smithsonian Metro along the treeline to the Lincoln Memorial. But I couldn't get a good enough look. Is this the case?

And does anyone have thoughts on how it might be first week in July? (No, we won't be there July 4. Family members will be visiting July 5 though).

Is the lawn around the Washington Monument available for walking and taking pix? Just wondering how much is fenced. I do understand the fencing and detouring could change even weekly as things go along...just trying to get a general idea.

And I'm guessing the other side is no problem? Along the Vietnam Memorial and Consitution Pond?

Thanks so much.

Ocala, Florida
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

I was there in May & the only area where the fencing is a problem is right in front of the Lincoln Memorial...where the reflecting pool is...the rest of the Mall area...Washington Mn, WW2 Memorial..Vietnam wall etc are fine & easy to get to ...just a slight detor to the Lincoln Memorial...

Arlington VA
Level Contributor
70 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

The lawn around the Washington Monument is wide open. It's only the immediate area around the reflecting pool that is closed, but the walkway along the south side of the reflecting pool is open to pedestrians. You're stuck between fences on either side, but you can walk straight down from the WWII memorial to the Lincoln with only a small detour right before you get to Lincoln.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

How does one now get to the DC War Memorial and Korean Memorial?

Edited: 18 June 2012, 19:44
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

Walk or take a taxi. Those are both between the WWII Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial on the south side of The Mall. Not far from the new MLK Memorial. They are both on this map, though it shows the MLK as in the future, it is there now. nps.gov/PWR/…NPS-Map-Washington-DC.pdf

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

Thanks, I know where they are...just wondering about their access from the fenced path around the Pool...because of the fencing ajl_dc described.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

They aren't that close to the Reflecting Pool. I don't think the fences are all that close to them, but I haven't been down there lately. It wasn't a problem back in the spring.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
511 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

When is the construction supposed to be done? We are there at the end of August and I was not aware of this.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,074 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

With luck, the pool will be filled by the end of August. Read this: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28970-i40-k542433…

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,445 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

Thanks all. We're intriqued by the restoration of the DC War Memorial. It looks beautiful. Have a great summer.

10. Re: Reflecting Pool - how much of a problem?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 09:42