We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

We are 3 adults (2 beds) looking to stay for 3 night next week 6/25-6/28.

We will drive down from NYC and wanted to leave the car in the hotel parking lot, and walk or take METRO to main attractions.

(out first trip to the area).

Our budget is around $250 a night, and im finding most hotels for that price are sold out or quite a bit more money. Obviously staying in town is ideal, but not realistic for our budget.

Is there an area thats outside, with decent hotels that close to METRO? an analogy using my own point of refernce would be...staying on Upper West Side of Manhattan and taking subway to midtown manhattan to tour.

Thanks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

I would try some of the discount sites. I will look for you also when I get a chance. There is no need to put Metro in all caps.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

I checked www.hotels.com and www.orbitz.com and did not see anything. I also checked the Kimpton website because they sometimes have specials. Also nothing in your price range.

As you may already know, hotels are generally cheaper on weekends.

One of the regular posters here uses Last Minute Travel for work and recommends it often. It is a discount site where you don’t find out which hotel is available until you book it. It is possible, though to figure out which hotel it will be based on photos and other revealing info. There are some hotels available in your price range for your dates.

Prices are before taxes

$156/night

3.5-star hotel in Washington (actually in Arlington, VA)

** most likely the Hyatt Regency Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia

$218/night

4-star hotel in Dupont Circle/Kalorama/Washington

**most likely the Washington Hilton 1919 Connecticut Ave., NW, Washington, DC

$154/night

3.5-star hotel in Downtown Area/Washington

**most likely the Four Points by Sheraton, 1201 K St NW

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

Thanks so much for your research.

Knowing so little about the area...which of the above options would you chose?

Isnt Dupont circle close to all the action? It also a 4 star hotel, perhaps worth the extra money.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,542 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

You would also be in walking distance at the Hilton to Adams Morgan where a lot of clubs/bars are located. There are a lot of restaurants/bars in the Dupont Circle area.

Saint Charles...
Level Contributor
205 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

My first choice for a hotel during a trip to the Washington, D.C. area is Crystal Gateway Marriott in Arlington, VA. Though the website might say that the hotel is full for your dates, talking with front desk personnel anyway might still yield a room. Among other great aspects, CGM provides a short walk through a tunnel system to the Metro, and getting into D.C. from that CGM area is relatively quick and easy.

You also might want to look into the Savoy Suites and the Carlyle Suites, which are sister properties. They are both actually in D.C., and they might price near enough to your $250.00 per night when you factor in their various amenities, which might save you on some other costs.

One of these sister properties used to have complimentary parking and a shuttle to the Metro while the other basically has no parking (except for a handful of complimentary spaces, which you should not think you would be able to get each day), is within a mile or so of parking garages, and is in walking distance to the Metro.

USA
Level Contributor
122 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

Check out the Key Bridge Marriott - good rates, although there is a parking charge. Easy walk to the Rosslyn metro station and very nice hotel right on the Potomac - and Key Bridge - you could technically walk over to Georgetown

Pine Prairie...
Level Contributor
45 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

Try Hyatt in Rosslyn/Arlington. We just stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Rosslyn and walked by this hotel everyday on our way to Metro. It was located right next to it. The Metro ride is short even to the Smithsonian stop.

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

Thanks for all your suggestions.

I ended up selecting the Springhill Suites Alexandria on Richmond Highway as most others were sold out, and we got a good deal with Priceline. I hope we dont regret it.

Now i am planning our trip. Mon - Thur, so thats 2 full days and 2 half days due to travel from NYC.

I know i need a Metro card, but the website is confusing. There is a smartcard which deducts less money per trip then a farecard. Why woulndt i get a smartcard then? also. maybe it pays to get a $9 unlimited x 4, for 28 bucks, no headaches.

I'll spend some time reading sample 4 day itineraries in the forums. But we plan on all the usual suspects...smithsonian, monuments, white house. And researching cheap dinner spots in DC or near our hotel.

Edited: 24 June 2012, 03:21
9. Re: Need help with Hotel for Washington DC area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2013, 20:18