We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

Which Washington DC hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

We leave for DC in the morning so this is a last minute deal!

We arrive Sun. late afternoon--thinking of doing something this evening and then dinner followed by our walking the monuments by night ourselves. Or should we purchase trolley moonlight tour?

Monday--We have a Capitol Tour at 1--wasn't sure if we should do the Air & Space and American iindian museum in am grab lunch then do Capitol Tour and Library of Congress and White House visitors center...not sure how to fill this day.

Tuesday--thought about Mount Vernon in am then Ford's Theater/tour by 2 or 3. And Old Post Office.

Would like to see all memeorials and possibly National Cathedral.

This is our kids FIRST trip--ages 10(b) 12(g)--so I want it to be fun and not too much for them.

We head to Williamsburg Wed. pm for 3.5 days after DC.

I've heard the about eating at Native American cafe in museum for lunch for something different.

Also--We the Pizza, Good Stuff Eatery, Matchbox, Desethopia, "H" Street Ethopia, Isabella, Oyamel, Graffiato----any recommendations for when to try these eataries and which to leave out. We like to try "new" things..but kids also like a good pizza and burger.

I'd like to get tickets on line this evening if possible for Ford Theater and Trolley TOur--if doing. Do i need to get Mount Vernon on line as well?

Thanks for any help!!

Can't believe this trip is happening!!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

I would walk the mall Sunday night. I don't really like organized tours.

Not enough time for the National Cathedral unless you skip something. It is out of the way in the NW part of the city and it is a long walk from the metro or bus from metro.

I think your Monday is full enough. You could always to in the American History Museum or Natural History Museum after the WH.

I would plan for the latest Fords Theater tickets and plan to go to Mt. Vernon early. Don't know where you are staying but your trip back to DC from Mt Vernon if you are driving could be 35-45 minutes or it could take you over an hour. It just depends on the traffic. Also you will have to find parking near Ford's Theater. If you are taking public transportation the bus from to and from the metro to Mt. Vernon only runs once an hour and if you miss it either way it will throw off your schedule.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,846 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

I, too, would recommend that you just walk the Mall on your own Sunday night. It's easy to do a self-tour of the monuments. (We do it all the time with visitors.) Those "monuments by night" tours can be expensive for a family.

There appear to be plenty of ticket times available on next Tuesday for touring the mansion at Mt. Vernon, so it doesn't look like you'd need to book in advance unless you want to avoid the lines to buy tickets. (I don't know what the lines are like right now. I was last there in January and there were no lines at all.) You have probably discovered there is a lot of good information on the Mt. Vernon website about visiting, including visits with children. Their recommendation is for a minimum of 2- 3 hours. I think a more realistic plan would be 3 - 4 hours.

Bloomington-Normal...
Level Contributor
83 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

Thank you for the tips!

We are staying at Hilton Garden In..across from McPherson Square Metro Station.

We will plan to walk the monuments Sunday evening then.

Monday--would you recommend--Library of congress in am and White house visitors center then lunch and capitol tour at 1 followed by Museums? Or break the museums us and do some am--American History and some pm--Air and Space and Natural History and maybe Hirshhorn to see the ineractive light exhibit.?

Tuesday--Mount Vernon IS worth the trip--right? We'd take the metro and the bus to try and arrive by 10--then do the Ford's Theater late in the day as you suggested.

Wed. I'm hoping we can get to the Engraving and Printing Tour before we leave town--flying to Williamsburg.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,348 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

Our family loved Mt. Vernon two years ago. They went all around and even took the boat tour (there's a bus to help going downhill and back up). We used to live just minutes from there and enjoyed the house itself as well as the grounds and magnificent view. They're all going back...and more have been added to the group...July 4 for the celebration day as well as seeing a chosen 100 people become citizens on the grounds.

But if it's worth it when you've got so much else going on...I'll let others and you figure that out.

Visalia, CA
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

I think you are trying to cram too much into Monday, not to mention that the White House is way down the Mall from the Capital. Your first idea of Air and Space in the morning, then lunch, then the Capitol tour at 1:00, then Library of Congress is a good one. Maybe fit American Indian in on that day since you walk right by it on the way between the Capitol and Air and Space, but don't forget the museums don't open until 10:00, so between Air and Space and lunch you only have three hours for both, not to mention that unless your tour is through your Congressman, you need to be there a half hour early. The tour will take about one to two hours, again depending on whether it is a public tour or through your congressman, which would leave you just about enough time for Library of Congress. You might be able to hit one other museum before they close at 7:30.

Okay, I just looked back and realized you are there TODAY, so hopefully you have figured out a plan that gets you to see what you want most! Enjoy, D.C. is amazing!

6. Re: Washington DC--Sun-eve, Mon.,Tues., Wed.-am--itinerary help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2013, 10:17