We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

Red Wing, Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

We will be on the Mall for the fireworks but not sure if we should tackle the parade on Constitution Ave. along with the Folk Festival, etc. or attend the celebration at Mt. Vernon. 3 kids with us--14, 13 and 10. Any words of wisdom? Thanks!

Springfield, VA
Destination Expert
for Fairfax
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

It's going to be very hot on July 4, and there's not a lot of shade on the Mall for the Folk Life Festival. It might be a good day to visit Mount Vernon, where some activities are indoors and a nice breeze will (hopefully) be blowing off the river.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,503 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

I agree. I'm not sure what the crowds will be like at Mt. Vernon on July 4th, but it's got to be better than the Mall.

Red Wing, Minnesota
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

Thank you! This was just the nudge I needed....was feeling guilty about not visiting Mt. Vernon! Happy 4th of July to you both!

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,706 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

Have you seen all Mt. Vernon is offering for the 4th. Lots to do, ending with birthday cake at 1 and some military drills if the kids are into it before time to go home for a good nap and a swim somewhere. Our family is going. They enjoyed the visit, including a boat tour, a couple of years ago on another summer day and are looking forward to this being extra special.

mountvernon.org/calendar/view/2012-07-04/5031

Looks like they are investigating the Folk Festival for July 5.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

Great advice has been offered here. Please pay attention to the weather. Today it was 104 degrees in DC with humidity. Very oppressive heat. While I have greatly enjoyed the Folk Life Festival in the past, I would not recommend going there on a very hot and humid day. Mount Vernon would be a better choice. There is walking involved at Mount Vernon, but more shade / indoor opportunities and a possible warm breeze.

6. Re: 4th of July Daytime: Mt. Vernon or The Parade and Folk Fest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 July 2013, 05:45