We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monuments in early morning or evening?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
411 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Monuments in early morning or evening?

On vacation we like to get an early start to avoid crowds and the heat. We are staying at the Chevy Chase Embassy Suites and will be using the Metro for transportation. We'd like to visit the monuments early in the morning, but we are concerned about the Metro being crowded because of rush hour. We will be traveling with our 6 and 8 year old granddaughters. Would it be better to wait until the evening to visit the monuments? When does the Metro crowd begin to lessen in the morning? I realize the fare is more before 9:30 AM. Thanks for any help.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,605 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

There really isn't a way to use Metro to see the Monuments, that is there aren't stops all over that serve the Monuments. The Smithsonian station lets you out on the Mall. Past that, you are left to using your feet.

I would say go in the morning. We were down there last night until almost midnight and it was still horribly hot and muggy. Of course, we have been in the middle of an awful heat wave.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

I would go early AM braving the Rush Hour crowd. Will not be as bad. When I was there in February, we were at the Lincoln Memorial around 7am and pretty much had it to ourselves.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

Just whatever you do, when riding the metro do NOT stand on left side of the escalator unless you want to get some tired people trying to get to work barking at you. The left side is for walking, the right side is for standing.

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
411 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

Thanks for your replies! Yes, I know there is no Metro stop "at" the Monuments - figured we'd use the Smithsonian stop. Matt B., in researching for this trip, I keep coming across reminders to stand on the right and walk on the left. It is like this is something unique to the Metro, but this is the norm all over the world!

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

Id even think about a cab from whenever you get into DC (even the Smithsonian Station) to the first Monument to save that amount of walking for your grandchildren.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

I am glad you have heard of the practice because everyday I encounter tourists who block my way on the escalators. So if anything we need more reminders out there.

DC
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

I ride the Red Line daily. If you get it before 7:30 it isn't crowded.

I recommend going to Foggy Bottom, starting out at the Lincoln Memorial and then heading east to the others. Starting at the Smithsonian stop you will walk toward the Lincoln which is at the most exposed end of the Mall with few options to get out of the heat.

As for tourists blocking the escalators, they're really pretty easy to get out of the way. If you violate protocol, someone will correct you.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,985 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

It's hot and muggy all day long right now. Last night it was hot and muggy when I was walking home from seeing the fireworks (9:30 - 10 pm) and this morning it was still warm and humid when I walked out the door at 8:30 am to go to work. So, it may not make much difference when you choose to go out to see the monuments.

However, I would say that if the weather improves before you arrive in D.C. for your visit, it might be better to go see the monuments after dark. Normally, it's cooler once the sun goes down and the monuments look so nice lit up. Also, while I don't generally ride Metro in the morning, if it's anything like the evening commute, you'll probably want to avoid it if possible.

I'd recommend you watch the weather and play it by ear.

9. Re: Monuments in early morning or evening?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2013, 10:16