We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whitehouse tour

Michigan
Level Contributor
197 posts
183 reviews
Save Topic
Whitehouse tour

We have to get to town for a whitehouse tour at 7:30 am. We are staying in Alexandria. If we take the metro how much time should we allow to get there on time? Does it run that early, the tour is thursday july 19. Would we be better off trying to get a cab or drive in? Is there any place to put our bags that early in the morning for the white house tour?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Whitehouse tour

There is more than one metro stop in Alexandria. In order to get a time estimate you'd need to know which metro stop you will be traveling from and also how far you will be from that station.

The metro opens at 5 am on the weekdays so no concern for that.

The metro website, WMATA.com, has a trip planner that lets you see how long trips will take.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whitehouse tour

If you are staying near a Metro station in Alexandria, that would probably be easier. On workdays, the Metro starts quite early in the day, so no problem there. But there is nowhere to stash your stuff. If you drive, you can put your stuff out of sight in the car while you take the tour. So it might work better for you, other than the hassle of driving into the city and parking.

Michigan
Level Contributor
197 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whitehouse tour

Will I even be able to find parking or will it be easier that early in the day? How much time should I plan to drive in if I choose that route.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whitehouse tour

Parking will need to be in a parking garage. There will be places that early in the day. Exactly where in Alexandria, which covers a lot of territory, will have an effect on how long it might take. It is not a drive I have made in decades so I can't give you advice on the timing.

Michigan
Level Contributor
197 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whitehouse tour

We are at the Homewood suites in Alexandria, 4850 Leesburg Pike. With 3 small kids we will have to get moving early so we aren't late for the tour. Just not sure if I should leave at 6:00 or 6:30. Don't want to just stand in front of the white house for 45 mins.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whitehouse tour

If you drive depending on where you are coming from in Alexandria will determine the amount of time. You will have to find your garage to park and walk to the WH. I personally would not leave any later than 6:00 or 6:15. By 6:45 395 in Alexandria and the bridges into DC are getting heavier but not bumper to bumper.

If you take the metro you can put your itinerary in the the trip planner on www.wmata.com and it will give you an estimate. Remember it will take time to buy metro tickets if you have not bought them so add this into your planning.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
1,625 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whitehouse tour

I posted while you were answering and my edit time ran out. I would not leave from your hotel later than 6:15. The Reagan building would be ideal for you to park. I always give myself a little extra time when driving into the city because backups are so frequent. If it is raining give yourself even more time. If you get there early find a coffee place (Au Bon Pains open at 6:30) to kill time or go take pictures outside the WH to kill time. I do not know how strict the WH is about the timing and I would hate to miss my tour due to traffic.

Michigan
Level Contributor
197 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whitehouse tour

Thanks for the help, thinking we will drive and park since we have a tour at the bureau of engraving and printing and holocaust museum the same day.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whitehouse tour

You do not want to take "3 small kids" to the Holocaust Museum. It is just not appropriate for anyone younger than 12 or 13, depending on their maturity level.

The White House tours begin at the east side and exit from the north front. I would go to the meeting place as soon as you park because you will probably be allowed to go in right away. Unless you are so early it isn't even open yet. I would suppose you are in the first group of the day.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 01:40
Michigan
Level Contributor
197 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whitehouse tour

Well, I guess I shouldn't say small. They are 13, 12 and 7. The 7 year old is only going into the age appropriate areas.

I'll get there early as possible, my lovely congressional office booked me for a 7:30 whitehouse tour and 8:15 engraving and printing tour. Hopefully we can get in early and get to the second tour in time. If not I guess I'll wait in line and get tickets for later.