We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions Please

Lancaster, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions Please

I want to head to the DC area on Labor Day weekend. Any suggestions on places to stay either in the city or in VA. Stayed here once before in July 2010 at a hotel in Alexandria. Also does anyone know if all the museums will be open all weekend because of the holiday. Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,365 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions Please

All the museums will be open. There are dozens of topics on this forum about choosing a hotel. Read some of them, get some ideas and come back with a more specific question. No one here is going to assign you a hotel out of the many possibilities in the city.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions Please

Hotels depend on budget. I'll "profile" hotels for you and tell you what I'd suggest, but would need your exact dates of travel, budget in USD per night and number of beds needed to make accurate suggestions.

Lancaster, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions Please

Safe neighborhood, free parking, perhaps a free breakfast. 2 beds. Looking for something mid range (hampton, comfort) About 150 night max. Thank you

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions Please

"free parking"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This DOESN'T EXIST in DC. Period. And very few hotels in NoVA offer it as well. Sorry to be the one who has to tell you this. You might just want to look for cheaper hotels so you can factor in parking costs.

"free breakfast"

easier to find, but are you willing to sacrifice the hotel to get this? Go to an Au Bon Pain, where 4 people can easily have a nice breakfast for $20 in the AM...

That said, there are many DC hotels that I would suggest over a Hampton/Comfort Inn property that are within your budget...

1) A nice Suggestion is the Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel in Arlington, VA for $63.90/night. It doesn't include parking, which is $22/day so that brings you to roughly $85.90 per night, which is still well within your budget even with the cost of breakfasts factored in. My favorite thing about this hotel is while it is not terribly convenient to the metro, they offer a free shuttle service, which stops at the following destinations:

Pentagon City Metro station, located along the yellow and blue Metro lines

Reagan National Airport, for an easy commute before and after your flight (extended airport shuttle hours of 5 AM to 12:15 AM)

Restaurant Row, offering some of the area's finest cuisine

Crystal City, featuring shopping and prestigious area business

National Mall, bordered by several Smithsonian museums

The Pentagon, offering tours of our nation's most important security destination

This would probably be my top choice for you if budget is a concern.

2) Marriott Metro Center - a great, 4-star Marriott Property in the heart of downtown. Rate of $126.90 per night, not including parking ($40 valet parking, though you may want to consider parking 3-4 blocks away at the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center [RRB-ITC] for only $22/day). Assuming you go with the latter of the two, that brings you to $148.90 before breakfast...so it is pushing the budget but keep in mind that you will be in the heart of downtown...they have their own metro station on site, and it is a 4-star hotel.

3) Washington Hilton - near Dupont Circle - great, highly recommended area to stay. Hotel rate is $109.80 per night, plus parking ($36/day self parking, no other convenient parking options) so you're totaling around $145.80 per night, before breakfast again.

4) Hyatt Regency on Capital Hill - Nice, 4-star, conveniently located hotel downtown. $104.40 per night for the room, and parking on-site is $45, though I would suggest parking at Union Station (2 blocks away) for $22 per night. That brings the total to $126.40 per night, before breakfast, and you're getting an awesome downtown hotel. I really think this is a good deal.

5) Omni Shoreham Hotel - $118 per night, nice 4-star hotel in residential Woodley Park neighborhood. Gorgeous hotel, fantastic rate. Parking is +$33 per night, so that brings you to $151 before breakfast...so not as good of a deal as the others.

6) Hampton inn Washington DC - Downtown - $105 per night for a room with 2 queen beds, and breakfast is INCLUDED! Parking is available for $34 per night, and it is valet, so total before tax comes to $139 for everything...

7) Le Meridien Arlington (was Hotel Palomar Arlington) - $95 per night for a superior room with 2 queen beds, parking is additional (about $30 per night) so comes to about $125 per night before breakfast.

Hope these suggestions help, and if you are interested in any of them and want specific booking details, let me know!

Arlingtonman13

Lancaster, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions Please

Thank you very much for all the great info.Its always best to as a local.

Lancaster, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions Please

I think you may have sold me on the Hyatt. Thank you

Annapolis
Level Contributor
129 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions Please

I would not stay in VA. over Labor Day weekend if you are planning to use the Metro. The yellow line will be shut down from Pentagon to archives and you would have to switch to a bus to cross the river and get into DC.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions Please

Thats good info, handpickd.

OP - the hyatt rate went up to $109 on Hyatt.com, you may want to book it again before it goes up if you're serious, it is prepaid...

9. Re: Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2013, 10:15