We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Washington DC Mall is under construction

orlando
Level Contributor
15 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Washington DC Mall is under construction

I wish someone had told me before my recent trip (July16-20,2012) that the National Mall is under construction until at least December 2012. I don't think I would have gone...it's a MESS!! Lots of construction equipment, warning signs, temporary fences, piles of dirt, and noise. The reflecting pools are disgusting. I realize tourism is an important industry and I hate to discourage anyone...but, you just need to be warned in advance that it's not a pretty sight.

CitySights DC
Bus Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours
The Ghost Story Tour of Washington
Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
washington dc
Level Contributor
4,457 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

Yes - years of financial neglect and deferred maintenance has indeed left us with a huge mess on the mall. So please contact your congressional reps. and senators and urge them to provide adequate tax funding for our national treasures and parks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

This has been discussed on this forum a bit.

Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

Yes, the mall itself is fairly ugly right now.

On my recent visit, I found plenty of nice green space close to the mall for times when I wanted to be outside.

Some of my favorites were the Smithsonian Gardens. This link has a good map of the gardens.

http://www.gardens.si.edu/

I also enjoyed the US Botanic Garden

http://www.usbg.gov/

I stumbled upon a nice community garden outside of the US Dept. of Agriculture building too.

I mostly walked on Independence or Constitution so I didn't have to look at the ugly mall too much. It didn't interfere with my visit at all.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

To be honest, the construction didn't bother us at all. I wish the Reflecting Pool and the Washignton Monument were finished, but we still had a blast sitting at the Monument watching the fireworks on the 4th. I hadn't been to D.C. in over 23 years, so I don't really remember what it was like then. I just know that we will be back when the Monument is opened again!!

It's probably a hassle for many, but I would go again tomorrow if I could!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

We are due to be in DC from the UK over the Labour day weekend. As a keen photographer I was also very disappointed to learn about the ongoing construction around the mall. But that's life.

We made reservations to stay in Old Faithful Inn at Yellowstone more than a year back and that is also undergoing renovation!!

I have been keeping an eye on the website Phototourism DC (link below) for updates on construction. This guy provides excellent tips for capturing the monuments and he provides regular updates on construction. Looks like the reflecting pool may be finished by end August.

Fingers and toes crossed.

I'm copying the link for future travellers who may be interested in photo ops and the impact of construction projects.

Construction Update and impact on photography: July-September:

phototourismdc.com/2012/…

Cheers

SHEFFIELD
Level Contributor
75 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

Hi Lisa

Was thinking of coming over from UK (end of month) which is obviously a big deal for us. Would you really advise choosing a different US city?

Thanks

Keith

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20,785 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

The Mall is a stretch of grass with museums along the edges. I cannot imagine not coming to DC because it is dug up and being renovated. All the museums are open and busy. The monuments are open and busy. But The Mall itself, i.e. the grass, is a minor part of the DC experience.

Groton, Connecticut
Level Contributor
2,787 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

I am with Darrell on this. Yes, its not what you expect to see but its a minor inconvenience. There is so much more to see. besides, my favorite pic from last year is of the Reflecting Pool being empty, in what we called the Reflecting Mud.

Scranton...
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

I agree with Darrell!! Do NOT go somewhere else just because of this. It wasn't much of a pain for us. We would return there now if we could!!

10. Re: Washington DC Mall is under construction

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 10:15